• About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Register
MetrowatchXtra
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
No Result
View All Result
MetrowatchXtra
No Result
View All Result
Home Uncategorized

FIFA Issues Deadline to Members over Plan to Sell $4 bn Stake

EU sports chief on July 29, 2026 hit out at FIFA’s plans to sell a stake in its competitions including the World Cup, warning international football’s governing body: “Hands off our game.”

Kemi Sheriepha by Kemi Sheriepha
July 29, 2026
0 0
0

A picture shows the FIFA logo during a press conference held by the president of the football’s governing body at the FIFA Executive Football Summit on February 15, 2019 in Istanbul.

EU sports chief on July 29, 2026 hit out at FIFA’s plans to sell a stake in its competitions including the World Cup, warning international football’s governing body: “Hands off our game.”

FIFA has told member associations they will each receive $40 million if they back a plan to sell stakes in major competitions — but they must sign up by September 19.

The sport’s global governing body on Tuesday announced proposals to set up a commercial subsidiary to run events, including the World Cup, sparking a furious backlash.

READ ALSO  Kwankwaso dumps PDP, keeps Mum on New Party

European football’s governing body UEFA said the World Cup was not an “asset to trade” while the Asian Football Confederation said it had not been consulted.

EU sports chief Glenn Micallef told FIFA on Wednesday: “Hands off our game.”

According to The Times on Wednesday, FIFA president Gianni Infantino told members that a funding package totalling $10 billion would become available if they signed up.

Infantino said in a letter seen by the British newspaper that the decision was up to individual associations.

“Should you wish to proceed, this $10 billion package will become available as of January 1, 2027, ushering in the next phase of our journey together,” he wrote.

READ ALSO  Police Helicopter did not Crash – Force Headquarters breaks Silence

“Should you wish to retain the status quo and reject this proposal we still have our planned expansion of the Forward programme (development funds) of $2.7 billion as previously presented.

“In total for the upcoming cycle starting as of January 1, 2027, each member association will have the possibility of access up to $40 million per member association under this proposal.”

The Times said sources opposed to the plan had labelled it “pure bribery”.

 

AFP

 

Nigeria

Tags: FIFA
Kemi Sheriepha

Kemi Sheriepha

RELATED POST

FIFA Back Infantino, Apologise for World Cup Privatisation Plan
Latest News

FIFA Back Infantino, Apologise for World Cup Privatisation Plan

by Kemi Sheriepha
August 6, 2026
0

FIFA president Gianni Infantino has received the “full support” of senior directors on Wednesday but world football’s governing body apologised...

Read moreDetails
Spain Suffocates Messi’s Argentina to Win the 2026 World Cup

Spain Suffocates Messi’s Argentina to Win the 2026 World Cup

July 20, 2026
FIFA Suspends Nepal over Third-party Interference

FIFA Suspends Nepal over Third-party Interference

June 25, 2026
Iran FA Pulls Out of FIFA Congress in Canada over Airport ‘Insult’

Iran FA Pulls Out of FIFA Congress in Canada over Airport ‘Insult’

April 29, 2026
Club World Cup: FIFA Strips Man City, Real Madrid, Man Utd of Titles

FIFA Rejects Iran’s Request to Relocate World Cup Games to Mexico 

April 13, 2026
FIFA Sanctions Nigeria, DR Congo over World Cup Play-Off Infractions

FIFA Sanctions Nigeria, DR Congo over World Cup Play-Off Infractions

March 16, 2026
Load More

APO

Recent Posts

  • Chelsea Confirm Name Change Ahead of New Season
  • JUST IN: US Court Gives Attorney, Pirro Ultimatum to Release ‘Tinubu Drug-Trafficking Records’
  • Osun Election: We Collaborated with Accord to Stop APC, ADC Claims
  • Plateau Assembly Raises Alarm over Fresh Mangu Attacks
  • Osun: President Tinubu Should be Commended for Fair Election Says Wike

Recommended

Oba of Benin Ends Mother’s Funeral Rites with Thanksgiving

Oba of Benin Ends Mother’s Funeral Rites with Thanksgiving

1 year ago
FACT CHECK | Bawa: Chukkol is EFCC Acting Chairman, Not Abba | METROWATCH

FACT CHECK | Bawa: Chukkol is EFCC Acting Chairman, Not Abba | METROWATCH

3 years ago
MetrowatchXtra

MetrowatchXtra is an online daily newspaper poised to act as a catalyst in our debate and desire for well-governed Nigeria and provide the much-needed platform for all, irrespective of social, religious or political divide, to express their views.
Metrowatchxtra Nigeria

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Politics
  • World
  • Business
  • Science
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved