• About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Thursday, May 21, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Register
MetrowatchXtra
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
No Result
View All Result
MetrowatchXtra
No Result
View All Result
Home HEALTH

Fresh Cholera Outbreak Kills 53 Persons in Borno

MetrowatchXtra by MetrowatchXtra
September 18, 2022
0 0
0
•Cholera cases in Borno

•Cholera cases in Borno

By Sam Kayode

Fifty-three  residents of Borno state have died due to an out break of cholera which has affected the  state since weekend.
As a result of this out break, at least one million residents especially the Internally displaced people (IDPs) are at the risk of dying if they continue to drink contaminated water simply because it looks clean.
Confirming the breakdown to health partners in the state today, Director of public health, Dr Goni Abba, asked them to join the state team to quickly reverse the trends of mortality across those council areas.
A breakdown of the death profile as at yesterday showed that  a total of 47 new cases with three deaths reported including backlog of cases came from Jere council area.
“Upsurge  from  Jere 37 cases with 3 deaths, Bayo reported 3 cases with no death, Biu recorded 3 cases with no death, Dikwa reported 3 cases no death, Bama 1 case no death, Kwaya Kusar submitted none, MMC and Mafa no update for today,” he said.
Dr Goni  said that the cumulative cases reported so far is 768 with 47 associated deaths.
On response to the scourge today by Stat rapid response team led by him and some partners, he said that the state public health team visited hot spots like  Shokari rehabilitation centre, Muna garage IDP camp to  conduct assessment of toilet facilities, sources of water and general personal and environmental hygiene of the areas.
They also conducted sensitisation of the returnees, communities affected and community leaders on the dangers of open defecation and poor personal and environmental hygiene which can contribute to the spread of Cholera.
The World Health Organization (WHO) cholera focal person he noted has provided  drugs and supplies at the Shokari rehabilitation centre health facility to cushion the effect of the cholera.
Meanwhile, active case searches and case findings were conducted and 23 Cholera cases were referred to Ngarnam in Bolori II.
He assured that the state response team and partners will intensify Surveillance, in conjunction with the risk communication and WASH activities in these sensitive areas of Shokari rehabilitation  centre, Muna garage IDP camp,  custom house IDP camp and other hotspots in Jere LGA.
Cholera has become an annual scourge in the state capital since residents were displaced by insurgency and forced to stay in IDP camps.
Even with the closure of the camps the habit of open defecation which is a long way from going away always affects the source of water most residents use to take their bath, abolution or cooking.
The scourge has increased also because of flooding which has affected most of the capital and council areas around it.
Tags: Borno StateCholeraWHO
MetrowatchXtra

MetrowatchXtra

RELATED POST

WHO Chief Says ‘Work Not Over’ after Hantavirus Evacuation
HEALTH

WHO Chief Says ‘Work Not Over’ after Hantavirus Evacuation

by Kemi Sheriepha
May 12, 2026
0

World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Tuesday “our work is not over” to contain hantavirus after evacuations...

Read moreDetails
Middle East Crisis: WHO Seeks $30.3m to Sustain Health Services

Hantavirus Outbreak not Like Start of Covid Pandemic, Says WHO

May 6, 2026
Middle East Crisis: WHO Seeks $30.3m to Sustain Health Services

Vaccines Saved More Than 150m Lives, Says WHO

April 25, 2026
Insecurity: Zulum Vows to Complete Ongoing Projects before Leaving Office

Insecurity: Zulum Vows to Complete Ongoing Projects before Leaving Office

February 27, 2026
15 De@d As Congo Confirms New Ebola Outbreak

15 De@d As Congo Confirms New Ebola Outbreak

September 5, 2025
WHO

Cholera Cases, Deaths Surge Globally, Says WHO | METROWATCH

September 4, 2024
Load More

APO

Recent Posts

  • BREAKING | Fubara Withdraws from Rivers APC Governorship Primaries
  • Kano Closes Schools for Eid-el-Kabir
  • APC: Desmond Elliot Announces Withdrawal from Lagos Assembly Primaries
  • BREAKING: CBN Retains Monetary Policy Rate at 26.5%
  • Peter Obi Visits Kwankwaso after Presidential Screening, Clearance

Recommended

JUST IN | Edo Legacy PDP Members Back out of Atiku Campaign Rally 

JUST IN | Edo Legacy PDP Members Back out of Atiku Campaign Rally 

4 years ago
Edo: Okpebholo Appoints Fred Itua as Chief Press Secretary

Okpebholo Okays Free Ride for Edo Residents, See the Routes

1 year ago
MetrowatchXtra

MetrowatchXtra is an online daily newspaper poised to act as a catalyst in our debate and desire for well-governed Nigeria and provide the much-needed platform for all, irrespective of social, religious or political divide, to express their views.
Metrowatchxtra Nigeria

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Politics
  • World
  • Business
  • Science
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved