• About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Friday, August 21, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Register
MetrowatchXtra
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
No Result
View All Result
MetrowatchXtra
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest News

Why Yar’Adua Cancelled Sale Of Port Harcourt Refinery to Dangote, Falana Sheds Light

Kemi Sheriepha by Kemi Sheriepha
January 4, 2025
0 0
0
Femi Falana

Femi Falana

Femi Falana, the popular Nigerian human rights lawyer, has disclosed the reason former President Umaru Yar’Adua did not sell the Port Harcourt refinery to a consortium led by Dangote.

Falana said the reversal was a pivotal step to address the legal and ethical breaches surrounding the transaction and to protect Nigeria’s national interest.

The senior lawyer, in a statement, explained that under the Privatisation and Commercialisation Act, the Vice President is the chairman of the National Council on Privatisation, NCP, the body responsible for overseeing the privatisation of public enterprises.

Falana, however, alleged that former President Olusegun Obasanjo bypassed this legal requirement by sidelining then-Vice President Atiku Abubakar and directly managing the privatisation of several state-owned enterprises.

READ ALSO  Champions League | Man Utd Experience Shock Defeat Against Galatasaray | METROWATCH

“On May 17, 2007, President Obasanjo sold a 51 per cent stake in the Port Harcourt refinery to Bluestar Oil for US$561 million. In another transaction that took place on May 28, 2007, President Obasanjo sold 51 per cent shares in Kaduna Refinery to Bluestar Oil for $160 million,” Falana revealed.

The human rights activist stressed that the deals drew sharp criticism from key stakeholders, including the National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers, NUPENG, and the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria, PENGASSAN.

According to him, the unions raised concerns over due process and alleged that the country had been shortchanged.

He further explained that they also alleged that the nation had been shortchanged as the shares acquired in the Port Harcourt refinery for $516 million were worth $5 billion.

READ ALSO  28 Bishops to Grace Monsignor John Bakeni's Consecration

“It is on record that the cancellation of the privatisation was not challenged in any court as it was carried out contrary to the letter and spirit of the Privatisation and Commercialisation Act,” Falana stated.

He further commended the role of NUPENG and PENGASSAN in advocating for national interest and called on them to remain vigilant amid renewed calls for the privatisation of Nigeria’s refineries.

Falana’s statement emphasised the ongoing debate over privatisation in Nigeria, with advocates stressing the need for transparency and due process in managing the country’s public assets.

 

Metrowatchxtra

 

Tags: DangoteFemi FalanaPort Harcourt Refinery
Kemi Sheriepha

Kemi Sheriepha

RELATED POST

Dangote calls for Calm over Shutdown of Obajana Cement Plant
BUSINESS

Abuja Residents Laud Dangote Refinery Petrol Price Cut

by Ogochukwu Isioma
August 4, 2026
0

By Adeola Akinbobola Some Abuja residents have commended the Dangote Petroleum Refinery for reducing the ex-depot price of Premium Motor...

Read moreDetails
Port Harcourt Refinery Ready to Resume Operations, Says PENGASSAN

Port Harcourt Refinery Ready to Resume Operations, Says PENGASSAN

February 11, 2026
Port Harcourt Refinery, Others Shut Due to Monumental Losses Incurred, Says NNPCL GCEO

Port Harcourt Refinery, Others Shut Due to Monumental Losses Incurred, Says NNPCL GCEO

February 5, 2026
OPINION | Dangote, Monopoly Power, and Political Economy of Failure, By Blaise Udunze

OPINION | Dangote, Monopoly Power, and Political Economy of Failure, By Blaise Udunze

December 20, 2025
Dangote Gives Reason for P Price Reduced to N899/litre

$5m Swiss Tuition: Dangote Releases Details Of Allegation Against NMDPRA CEO

December 16, 2025
Hackers Infiltrate Phones of Dangote, Otedola, Demand Ransom

Hackers Infiltrate Phones of Dangote, Otedola, Demand Ransom

November 19, 2025
Load More

APO

Recent Posts

  • Eid ul Mawlid: Nigerian Govt Declares Tuesday Public Holiday 
  • Give me Your Mandate for Better Nigeria, Peter Obi Urges Electorate
  • NDC Flags Off 2027 Campaign, Warns against Violence
  • Osun Election: Davido Banned from Performing in Edo Over Exchange with Okpebholo
  • FAAC: Federal, States, LGs Share N16tn in 7 Months as Revenue

Recommended

UPDATED| Ekiti guber Poll: APC Clears 15 of 16 LGAs

UPDATED| Ekiti guber Poll: APC Clears 15 of 16 LGAs

4 years ago
1 D!es in Third Mainland Bridge Accident, LASTMA Confirms

1 D!es in Third Mainland Bridge Accident, LASTMA Confirms

1 year ago
MetrowatchXtra

MetrowatchXtra is an online daily newspaper poised to act as a catalyst in our debate and desire for well-governed Nigeria and provide the much-needed platform for all, irrespective of social, religious or political divide, to express their views.
Metrowatchxtra Nigeria

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Politics
  • World
  • Business
  • Science
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved