• About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Register
MetrowatchXtra
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
No Result
View All Result
MetrowatchXtra
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest News

NDC Clears Peter Obi for Presidential Primary

Chairman of the NDC National Screening Committee, Sam Egwu, announced Obi’s clearance in a video shared on the party’s official X account on Wednesday

Kemi Sheriepha by Kemi Sheriepha
May 20, 2026
0 0
0

Former Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has been cleared to contest in the presidential primary of the Nigeria Democratic Congress ahead of the 2027 general election.

Chairman of the NDC National Screening Committee, Sam Egwu, announced Obi’s clearance in a video shared on the party’s official X account on Wednesday.

The screening exercise was conducted in Abuja on Tuesday.

Egwu said the committee was satisfied that Obi met all constitutional and statutory requirements to contest for the presidency.

“This is to certify that, following the screening of His Excellency Peter Obi by the National Screening Committee of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, and having satisfied ourselves that he has complied with all the requirements of the constitution of the party, the Electoral Act, and the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended), dealing with eligibility to contest the presidential election, and having provided satisfactory answers to all questions put to him by members of the committee, he is hereby cleared to contest in the presidential primaries of the party for the 2027 presidential election on dates to be announced by the party,” Egwu stated.

READ ALSO  2023: We Won’t Support any Candidate above 60, Says AYCF

Reacting via his official X account on Wednesday, Obi said the screening lasted more than two and a half hours, during which members of the committee examined his credentials and questioned him on his vision for Nigeria.

“Yesterday, May 19, in Abuja, I attended the presidential screening organised by our party, which took over two and a half hours. They carefully reviewed all my documents, including my degree certificates, NYSC credentials, and age declarations.

“During the process, I also addressed questions regarding my vision for a new Nigeria and the type of leadership our nation urgently needs right now.

“Following this, I was cleared and received the presidential nomination form I had previously paid for,” he said.

READ ALSO  State of Emergency: We'll Emerge Stronger, Fubara to Rivers People

Obi also commended the screening committee and the party leadership for what he described as a credible and transparent process.

“I would like to commend the screening committee, led by former governor Sam Egwu, for their thorough and professional approach. Additionally, I appreciate our party’s leadership for upholding the democratic process,” he added.

The development comes amid ongoing political realignments ahead of the 2027 general election, with opposition parties intensifying consultations and preparations for party primaries and coalition talks.

 

Metrowatchxtra

Tags: NDCPeter Obi
Kemi Sheriepha

Kemi Sheriepha

RELATED POST

Terrorists Behind Benue k!llings, Bashir Ahmed Reveals 
Latest News

‘She’s Demoralised’, Bashir Reacts as Aisha Yesufu Says she Won’t Follow Obi to Campaigns 

by Kemi Sheriepha
August 19, 2026
0

Former presidential media aide, Bashir Ahmad has suggested that a chieftain of the Nigerian Democratic Congress, NDC, Aisha Yesufu may...

Read moreDetails
Ex-Ekiti Governor, Ayodele Fayose Reacts To His Expulsion From PDP

Obi’s 2027 Chances Ended with ADC Exit, Says Fayose

August 19, 2026
2027: Who Owns NDC? Fear of Moles Rocking Party Spreads 

Osun Election: NDC Hails Adeleke, Faults Tinubu Endorsement

August 17, 2026
Reaction: Peter Obi Storms Edo for Late Bishop Akubeze

Reaction: Peter Obi Storms Edo for Late Bishop Akubeze

August 13, 2026
OVH Energy Deal: Group Files Suit Seeking N140Bn Refund to Nigeria Government

2027: Court Dismisses NDC’s Suit Seeking to Void ‘Vital’ Sections of Electoral Act 2026

August 5, 2026
President Tinubu Makes Fresh Appointments into NUC, NERDC, NEPAD

2027: I’ll Wrestle My Opponents to Finishing Point, Tinubu Vows

July 29, 2026
Load More

APO

Recent Posts

  • BREAKING | Nigeria to Decriminalise Attempted Suicide, Says Health Minister
  • Tinubu Appoints Enitan as New Head of Service
  • ‘She’s Demoralised’, Bashir Reacts as Aisha Yesufu Says she Won’t Follow Obi to Campaigns 
  • Osun Election: I Have Forgiven those who Offended Me, Adeleke Reveals 
  • Tinubu Presides over First FEC Meeting Since June

Recommended

Nollywood Actor Emeka Ike Declares Bid for House of Reps Seat

Nollywood Actor Emeka Ike Declares Bid for House of Reps Seat

3 months ago
Buhari

I Intentionally Refused to Release my WASSCE Certificate in 2015 – Buhari to Critics | METROWATCH

3 years ago
MetrowatchXtra

MetrowatchXtra is an online daily newspaper poised to act as a catalyst in our debate and desire for well-governed Nigeria and provide the much-needed platform for all, irrespective of social, religious or political divide, to express their views.
Metrowatchxtra Nigeria

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Politics
  • World
  • Business
  • Science
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved