• About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Thursday, August 20, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Register
MetrowatchXtra
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
No Result
View All Result
MetrowatchXtra
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest News

FIFA Invites Iran to Headquarters for World Cup Talks

The source said FIFA had asked the FFIRI to visit its Zurich base “by May 20 to prepare for the World Cup”

Kemi Sheriepha by Kemi Sheriepha
May 5, 2026
0 0
0

FIFA has invited the Iranian football federation (FFIRI) to its headquarters for talks over the country’s participation at this year’s World Cup, a source told AFP on Tuesday.

Iran’s presence at the tournament, held in the United States, Canada and Mexico between June 11 and July 19, has been shrouded in uncertainty since the eruption of war in the Middle East in February following strikes by the United States and Israel.

The source said FIFA had asked the FFIRI to visit its Zurich base “by May 20 to prepare for the World Cup”.

Last week, FIFA president Gianni Infantino reiterated Iran will play their World Cup games in the United States as scheduled.

READ ALSO  'We Can't Find Any Medicine That Works', Celine Dion’s Sister Shares Update on Singer’s Health | METROWATCH

“Let me start by the outset, confirming straightaway that of course Iran will be participating at the FIFA World Cup 2026,” Infantino said as he addressed delegates at the FIFA Congress in Vancouver.

“And of course, Iran will play (in) the United States of America.”

Iran’s delegation was the only absentee from the 211-member congress after a clash with Canadian border officials.

Iranian media said FFIRI president Mehdi Taj — a former member of Tehran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) — and two colleagues flew home after being “insulted” by Canadian immigration officers.

Canada, which designated the IRGC a terrorist organisation in 2024, said individuals linked to the force were “inadmissible”.

READ ALSO  Insecurity: Don’t Recruit 20,000 Policemen; Equip Those On Ground, Onaiyekan Tells Tinubu

On his return home, Taj told local media he wanted a meeting with FIFA to discuss a variety of subjects.

Iran, who are due to be based in Tucson, Arizona, during the World Cup, face New Zealand, Belgium and Egypt in Group G.

The Iranians open their World Cup campaign against New Zealand in Los Angeles on June 15.

 

Metrowatchxtra

Tags: FIFA World CupIran
Kemi Sheriepha

Kemi Sheriepha

RELATED POST

War: We’re Coming in to Clean Up, Donald Trump Insists on Ground Invasion of Iran
Latest News

Trump Warns Iran to Open Hormuz or Get ‘Hit Very Hard’

by Kemi Sheriepha
August 5, 2026
0

US President Donald Trump said Tuesday that Iran would be “hit very hard” unless the strategic Strait of Hormuz is...

Read moreDetails
Both US, Iran Claim Victory after 11th-Hour Truce

Mediators Push 10-day Ceasefire to Revive US-Iran Memorandum

July 20, 2026
2026 Ballon d’Or: Top 4 Players to Win Award after World Cup Final Revealed

2026 Ballon d’Or: Top 4 Players to Win Award after World Cup Final Revealed

July 20, 2026
Both US, Iran Claim Victory after 11th-Hour Truce

US-Iran Fighting Escalates with Infrastructure Targeted

July 18, 2026
Iran’s Guards Accuse US of Endangering Global Oil Supply

Iran’s Guards Accuse US of Endangering Global Oil Supply

July 13, 2026
Algeria Eliminated from 2026 FIFA World Cup

Algeria Eliminated from 2026 FIFA World Cup

July 3, 2026
Load More

APO

Recent Posts

  • BREAKING | Nigeria to Decriminalise Attempted Suicide, Says Health Minister
  • Tinubu Appoints Enitan as New Head of Service
  • ‘She’s Demoralised’, Bashir Reacts as Aisha Yesufu Says she Won’t Follow Obi to Campaigns 
  • Osun Election: I Have Forgiven those who Offended Me, Adeleke Reveals 
  • Tinubu Presides over First FEC Meeting Since June

Recommended

Nollywood Actor Emeka Ike Declares Bid for House of Reps Seat

Nollywood Actor Emeka Ike Declares Bid for House of Reps Seat

3 months ago
Buhari

I Intentionally Refused to Release my WASSCE Certificate in 2015 – Buhari to Critics | METROWATCH

3 years ago
MetrowatchXtra

MetrowatchXtra is an online daily newspaper poised to act as a catalyst in our debate and desire for well-governed Nigeria and provide the much-needed platform for all, irrespective of social, religious or political divide, to express their views.
Metrowatchxtra Nigeria

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Politics
  • World
  • Business
  • Science
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved