• About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Register
MetrowatchXtra
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
No Result
View All Result
MetrowatchXtra
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest News

Trump to Attend Correspondents’ Dinner in White House

This is marking it a notable shift after years of boycotting the event as the president

Kemi Sheriepha by Kemi Sheriepha
March 3, 2026
0 0
0
By Cecelia Odey

U.S. President Donald Trump said that he planned to attend the annual White House correspondents’ dinner for the first time since taking office.

This is marking it a notable shift after years of boycotting the event as the president.

In a post on his Truth Social platform, Trump said he would accept the invitation to the gala.

He cited the upcoming 250th anniversary of the U.S. and what he described as improved recognition from members of the press.

He has previously declined to attend, criticising media coverage of his presidency as “extraordinarily bad.”

Trump said it would be his “honour” to participate and pledged to make it the “greatest” and “most spectacular” dinner ever held.

He also referred to himself as the “G.O.A.T.,” an acronym for “Greatest of All Time,” saying some correspondents now acknowledge his achievements.

READ ALSO  OPINION | The NASS Cars: A Displaced Aggression, By Hon. Josef Omorotionmwan | METROWATCH

The dinner is organised by the White House Correspondents’ Association (WHCA), which has hosted the event for more than a century.

The association represents journalists covering the White House and uses proceeds from the annual gala to fund scholarships and support press freedom initiatives.

WHCA President Weijia Jiang welcomed Trump’s decision, saying the organisation looked forward to hosting him.

Trump’s planned attendance comes amid ongoing tensions between the White House and the media.

In 2025, the administration introduced new regulations limiting journalists’ access to parts of the White House press area, including the office of press secretary Karoline Leavitt.

Reporters are now required to schedule appointments to enter certain spaces that were previously accessible to accredited journalists.

READ ALSO  Drake Loses $450,000 Bet as Plessis Defeats Israel Adesanya | METROWATCH

The White House said the measures were necessary because the area is also used for communications by the National Security Council and may contain sensitive documents.

The WHCA criticised the move, arguing it restricts journalists’ ability to question officials and undermines transparency.

In February, the administration also announced it would assume control over selecting news outlets for the press pools covering the president, a role historically managed by the WHCA since 1914.

The annual dinner, traditionally attended by sitting presidents, celebrates freedom of the press and free speech.

This year’s event is scheduled for April 25 at the Washington Hilton. (dpa/NAN)

 

Metrowatchxtra

Tags: Trump
Kemi Sheriepha

Kemi Sheriepha

RELATED POST

War: We’re Coming in to Clean Up, Donald Trump Insists on Ground Invasion of Iran
Latest News

US Will ‘Keep’ Control of Hormuz Strait, Says Trump

by Kemi Sheriepha
August 12, 2026
0

President Donald Trump on Wednesday said the United States is in control of the strategic Strait of Hormuz and will...

Read moreDetails
War: We’re Coming in to Clean Up, Donald Trump Insists on Ground Invasion of Iran

Trump Warns Iran to Open Hormuz or Get ‘Hit Very Hard’

August 5, 2026
US President, Trump Threatens South Africa, Gives Reason

Trump Pays $5m to Writer for Assault, Defamation

July 14, 2026
War: We’re Coming in to Clean Up, Donald Trump Insists on Ground Invasion of Iran

Trump Says US Will be ‘Paid’ for Guarding Strait of Hormuz

July 13, 2026
OVH Energy Deal: Group Files Suit Seeking N140Bn Refund to Nigeria Government

US Supreme Court Rejects Trump’s Bid to Restrict Birthright Citizenship

June 30, 2026
Trump, Iran’s President Sign Deal to End Middle East War

US Media Slam Trump over Concessions in Iran War Deal

June 18, 2026
Load More

APO

Recent Posts

  • BREAKING | Nigeria to Decriminalise Attempted Suicide, Says Health Minister
  • Tinubu Appoints Enitan as New Head of Service
  • ‘She’s Demoralised’, Bashir Reacts as Aisha Yesufu Says she Won’t Follow Obi to Campaigns 
  • Osun Election: I Have Forgiven those who Offended Me, Adeleke Reveals 
  • Tinubu Presides over First FEC Meeting Since June

Recommended

Nollywood Actor Emeka Ike Declares Bid for House of Reps Seat

Nollywood Actor Emeka Ike Declares Bid for House of Reps Seat

3 months ago
Buhari

I Intentionally Refused to Release my WASSCE Certificate in 2015 – Buhari to Critics | METROWATCH

3 years ago
MetrowatchXtra

MetrowatchXtra is an online daily newspaper poised to act as a catalyst in our debate and desire for well-governed Nigeria and provide the much-needed platform for all, irrespective of social, religious or political divide, to express their views.
Metrowatchxtra Nigeria

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Politics
  • World
  • Business
  • Science
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved