• About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Monday, May 18, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Register
MetrowatchXtra
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
No Result
View All Result
MetrowatchXtra
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest News

Gov. Okpebholo Visits Ekpoma Fire Scene, Promise to Rebuild Burnt Shops

The Governor described the incident as disturbing and linked it to ongoing acts of violence and sabotage in the area.

Ogochukwu Isioma by Ogochukwu Isioma
January 13, 2026
0 0
0
*Gov Monday Okpebholo at the scene of the fire incident

*Gov Monday Okpebholo at the scene of the fire incident

(PRESS RELEASE)

Edo State Governor, Senator Monday Okpebholo, on Monday night visited Ekpoma to assess the damage caused by the overnight fire that razed several shops constructed by the Police Officers Wives Association assuring the affected traders of swift government intervention and renewed security action.

The Governor described the incident as disturbing and linked it to ongoing acts of violence and sabotage in the area.

Speaking directly to shop owners at the scene, the governor said he felt deeply pained by the development, noting that recent events in Ekpoma point to a pattern of coordinated attacks.

“A lot of things are happening here now. But we are going after them.”

The Governor dismissed claims that the attackers were Fulani herdsmen, insisting they were political elements bent on destabilising the area.

“They are killing our people, with the name they are Fulanis. They are not Fulanis. They are political elements. We have started arresting them,” he stated.

The governor added that the burning of the shops followed the same pattern as previous incidents, warning that those behind the acts would not know peace, regardless of their status or influence.

READ ALSO  No Casualties, as Gunmen Attack Ondo Community, Set Police Station Ablaze

“There’s nothing to fear. Our people will not suffer for nothing. No matter how highly placed they are, we will go after all of them, I will not listen to anybody when the time comes”

“Even if it were my own father involved in kidnapping, violence, or destruction,he would be brought to justice. No one is above the law”.he warned.

The governor, was accompanied by some top government officials including the Commissioner for Public Security and Safety, Hon. Ebea Festus Odianosen; the Commissioner of Police, Monday Agbonika; the Commander of the 4-Brigade Nigerian Army, General Ahmed Olatunboju, among others

Earlier, two of the shop owners, Mr. Israel Ughulu and Prof. Aghemelo Austin Thomas, who spoke on behalf of the victims, said they felt victimised over an issue they knew nothing about.

Mr. Ughulu explained that the fire started around midnight and spread rapidly, leaving them helpless.

He said, “At about twelve midnight, we got a call that our shops were on fire. In less than 30 seconds, the whole building went down. We watched our properties burn until about 5 a.m. without any help,”

READ ALSO  Economic Hardship: Lagos Plans Distribution of Palliatives | METROWATCH

The shop owners described the governor’s visit as unprecedented, noting that a similar incident had occurred about two years earlier on the other side of the shops without such high-level attention.

Large crowds gathered as the governor toured the affected area, with residents commending the prompt response and assurances given by the state government.

In a major relief to the victims, Okpebholo announced that reconstruction of the affected shops would begin within the week. He urged the traders to remain calm, assuring them that government support would go beyond rebuilding.

“Between now and Friday, they will come and start building this place for you people. After the building, we will take inventory so that you will return to your shops without going to borrow from the bank,” he said.

Signed:
Patrick Akhere Ebojele,PhD
The Chief Press Secretary to the Governor of Edo State
Monday,12 January 2026

Tags: EkpomaFireMonday Okpebholo
Ogochukwu Isioma

Ogochukwu Isioma

Ogochukwu Isioma is a Master's degree holder in International Affairs and Diplomacy (with Distinction) from the Amadu Bello University, Zaria. With over half a decade-long active journalism practice, Ogochukwu is the Founder and Publisher of popular education-focused online medium, CAMPUS GIST, and currently writes for METROWATCH. He can be reached via ogochukwuisioma@gmail.com.

RELATED POST

Midnight Fire Guts Sokoto NLC Secretariat after May Day
Latest News

Midnight Fire Guts Sokoto NLC Secretariat after May Day

by Kemi Sheriepha
May 2, 2026
0

Tragedy struck in the early hours of Saturday as a devastating fire razed the Sokoto State Secretariat of the Nigeria...

Read moreDetails
Okpebholo: ‘They Call Him D7 Governor, But We Laugh at Their Ignorance’

Okpebholo: ‘They Call Him D7 Governor, But We Laugh at Their Ignorance’

April 23, 2026
Benisheikh Attack: Operation Hadin Kai Debunks Casualty Claims, Reaffirms Military Gains

Okpebholo Mourns Gen Braimah, Says ‘Sacrifice Won’t Be Forgotten’

April 12, 2026
Okpebholo Commends Edo Assembly for ‘Harmonious Working Relationship with Executive’

Okpebholo Commends Edo Assembly for ‘Harmonious Working Relationship with Executive’

April 6, 2026
JUST IN: Fire Razes Part of Federal Secretariat

JUST IN: Fire Razes Part of Federal Secretariat

March 9, 2026
Passengers Escape De@th as BRT Bus Catches Fire in Lagos

Passengers Escape De@th as BRT Bus Catches Fire in Lagos

March 4, 2026
Load More

APO

Recent Posts

  • Nigerians Slam Sheikh Gumi over Ransom-for-Kidnappers Comments
  • 2027: Court Sets May 26 to Determine Jonathan’s Eligibility
  • Picture of Kidnapped Oyo Teacher Beheaded by Bandits
  • APC Senatorial Primaries: National Organising Secretary Clears Oden Ewa for Cross River Central, Others
  • Imoke, Ahmed Lead ADC Presidential Primary Committees

Recommended

2023 Census NPC

NPC Reassures Nigerians, Says 2023 Census will be Credible

4 years ago
Tinubu Recounts Experience: I Nearly Quit 2023 Presidential Race

Tinubu Recounts Experience: I Nearly Quit 2023 Presidential Race

1 year ago
MetrowatchXtra

MetrowatchXtra is an online daily newspaper poised to act as a catalyst in our debate and desire for well-governed Nigeria and provide the much-needed platform for all, irrespective of social, religious or political divide, to express their views.
Metrowatchxtra Nigeria

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Politics
  • World
  • Business
  • Science
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved