• About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Register
MetrowatchXtra
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
No Result
View All Result
MetrowatchXtra
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest News

Banditry: Okpebholo Holds Security Meeting, Beefs Up Surveillance along Highways, Communities in Edo

Governor Okpebholo reaffirmed his determination to keep the State safe, insisting that criminality would find no foothold under his administration.

Ogochukwu Isioma by Ogochukwu Isioma
November 26, 2025
0 0
0
*Gov Monday Okpebholo

*Gov Monday Okpebholo

By Ogochukwu Isioma

The Edo State Government has intensified security operations across major highways and communities following the circulation of a viral video allegedly featuring a self-acclaimed bandit issuing threats around Ekpoma and neighbouring areas in Edo Central Senatorial District.

The viral video, circulated on Tuesday, triggered widespread concern across social media.

In a statement issued on Wednesday, the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Mr. Fred Itua, said the government was aware of the video and had taken decisive action to reassure the public and reinforce ongoing security efforts.

According to the statement, “The attention of Edo State Government has been drawn to a trending video circulating on social media, allegedly featuring a self-acclaimed bandit issuing threats and claiming presence around Ekpoma and adjoining communities in Edo Central Senatorial District.”

Mr. Itua noted that Governor Monday Okpebholo had been fully briefed on the matter and immediately convened a high-level security meeting. He said security has remained a top priority since the Governor assumed office.

The statement added, “Since assuming office, Governor Okpebholo has treated security as a top-tier priority and has not left any stone unturned in confronting emerging threats.”

The Chief Press Secretary disclosed that over recent weeks, the Governor has held continuous strategic briefings and activated a State-wide surveillance network covering major corridors such as the Benin Auchi Expressway, Ekpoma Uromi Road, Ehor Iruekpen axis, Benin Bypass, the Ewu Irrua Ubiaja route, and the Benin Afuze Auchi corridor.

READ ALSO  Photo | VP Shettima Arrives Presidential Tribunal | METROWATCH

These efforts, the government explained, are aimed at ensuring early detection of threats, enabling swift responses, and sustaining pressure on criminal networks that may attempt to infiltrate the State.

“These measures are designed to ensure early detection, swift response, and sustained pressure against criminal networks,” Mr. Itua added.

Following the Governor’s latest directive, multiple security formations have launched intensified operations across forests, boundary communities and other flashpoints. These include the Department of State Services, the Nigerian Army, the Nigeria Police Force, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, local vigilante groups, and the Edo State Special Security Squad.

Search-and-comb operations are now underway with enhanced intelligence gathering and coordinated patrols to dismantle any criminal activities within the State. The government also confirmed that arrests linked to recent security breaches have already been made.

“Search-and-comb missions are ongoing, backed by enhanced intelligence gathering and coordinated patrols to deny criminal elements safe haven anywhere within the State,” the statement said.

READ ALSO  NJC Reinstates Judge sacked for Writing Petition against Aregbesola

It further revealed that significant breakthroughs have been recorded, with several leads still being pursued. Officials emphasised that the security operations will continue indefinitely until all parts of Edo State are secure.

The government assured the public of its unwavering commitment, saying, “The Government reiterates that these operations are continuous and will not cease until every inch of Edo land; urban centres, rural communities, and transit corridors are fully secured and safe for residents, commuters, and investors.”

Citizens were urged to stay calm, cooperate with security agencies and avoid spreading unverified information that could incite panic. The government stressed that misinformation could undermine ongoing operations.

The statement added, “Misinformation, panic-driven narratives, and unverified videos should be avoided.”

Governor Okpebholo reaffirmed his determination to keep the State safe, insisting that criminality would find no foothold under his administration.

“Governor Okpebholo remains resolute in his commitment to safeguarding lives and property, and his administration will continue to deploy all lawful measures to ensure that criminality has no breathing space in Edo State,” Mr Itua concluded.

Tags: BanditsEdoEkpomaInsecurity
Ogochukwu Isioma

Ogochukwu Isioma

Ogochukwu Isioma is a Master's degree holder in International Affairs and Diplomacy (with Distinction) from the Amadu Bello University, Zaria. With over half a decade-long active journalism practice, Ogochukwu is the Founder and Publisher of popular education-focused online medium, CAMPUS GIST, and currently writes for METROWATCH. He can be reached via ogochukwuisioma@gmail.com.

RELATED POST

UNIBEN Wins Case on Land Dispute with Uteh Community
EDUCATION

UNIBEN Distances Staff, Students from Deadly Shooting Near Main Campus

by Ogochukwu Isioma
May 12, 2026
0

By Ogochukwu Isioma The University of Benin has dissociated its staff and students from the violent clash that occurred just...

Read moreDetails
May Day: Eswatini Bans Rally, Labour Union Heads to Court

Edo Court Grants Journalist Custody of 3 Children, Orders ex-Husband to Refund N21.5m Debt

May 11, 2026
11 Killed as Bandits Retaliate after Security Forces Foil Attack in Katsina

11 Killed as Bandits Retaliate after Security Forces Foil Attack in Katsina

May 4, 2026
JUST IN: Gunmen K!ll Police ASP, 4 others in Fresh Benue Attack

Bandits Abduct Monarch in Kwara in Another Daring Raid

April 21, 2026
Tax Reform Bills Not Withdrawn, Senate Can’t Be Intimidated, Akpabio Says

2027 Election: Insecurity Rising to Distract Tinubu, Says Akpabio

April 14, 2026
Nigerian Govt can Tackle Insecurity in 6 Months, Says Ndume

Nigerian Govt can Tackle Insecurity in 6 Months, Says Ndume

April 14, 2026
Load More

APO

Recent Posts

  • EFCC Vs Arik: Witness Admits ‘No Money Was Traced to Kuru, Omokide, Others During Investigation’ 
  • EFCC Nabs Convicted Ex-minister Mamman over N33bn Fraud
  • Oden Ewa Emerges C’River Central Senatorial Candidate, Commends Otu, APC Members, Followers
  • Why We Took El-Rufai into Custody, DSS Tells Court
  • JUST IN | EFCC Arrests Fugitive, Convicted ex-Power Minister Saleh Mamman

Recommended

2023: Atiku on the March again

Atiku: How I’ll Halt Recurring National Grid Collapse 

4 years ago
Between Okowa and Ibori: Fallacies and Fiction

OPINION By Fred Edoreh | Stop Insulting Ibori With Speculations of Defection

3 years ago
MetrowatchXtra

MetrowatchXtra is an online daily newspaper poised to act as a catalyst in our debate and desire for well-governed Nigeria and provide the much-needed platform for all, irrespective of social, religious or political divide, to express their views.
Metrowatchxtra Nigeria

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Politics
  • World
  • Business
  • Science
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved