• About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Thursday, August 20, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Register
MetrowatchXtra
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
No Result
View All Result
MetrowatchXtra
No Result
View All Result
Home BUSINESS

Court Fixes Nov. 1 to Rule in Final Forfeiture of $2.045m, Properties Linked to Emefiele

Seyi Babalola by Seyi Babalola
October 12, 2024
0 0
0
Godwin Emefiele

*Godwin Emefiele

The Federal High Court sitting in Lagos has fixed November 1, 2024, to rule on the application by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, for the final forfeiture of the $2.045million, seven choice landed properties and shares involving former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Godwin Emefiele.

The court will also on the same date, rule on the formal application filed by the former banker for a stay of proceedings.

Recall that on August 15, 2024, the court had authorised the EFCC to temporarily take custody of the assets.

In granting the application, the court had instructed the EFCC to publish the order of interim forfeiture for any person interested in the funds to show the cause why it should not be finally forfeited to the FG.

At the resumed hearing on Friday, counsel for the EFCC, Rotimi Oyedepo moved an application for the final forfeiture of the sum of $2.045m, as well as share certificates, which he said was not contested by the interested Party.

In opposition, however, counsel to the interested Party (Emefiele), Olalekan Ojo prayed the court to hold that the interested party has shown in a balance of probability that the court ought not to grant the final forfeiture of the properties.

READ ALSO  Naira Crisis: PDP Brought Emefiele, We’ll Name Those He’s Working with, Says el-Rufai

He adopted his written address, urging the court to refuse the application.

Earlier in the proceedings, the court refused to stay further proceedings in the suit.

Through his lawyer, Emefiele had urged the judge to stay proceedings pending the hearing of an appeal he filed before the Court of Appeal seeking to nullify the temporary forfeiture order earlier granted by the court.

But Justice Deinde Dipeolu held in his ruling that interested parties had the right to approach the Court of Appeal which must be contingent on the trial court’s decision.

The court also held that an appeal flows from the decision of a trial court but in the instant case, the court had not made any decision as to any application filed or as to the substantive issues in the suit.

Justice Dipeolu, therefore, dismissed the oral application made by Ojo seeking to stay the court’s proceedings.

At the last sitting of the court, Ojo had urged the court to stay further proceedings in the case pending the determination of the banker’s appeal.

READ ALSO  2023: Why I Accepted to Lead Yahaya Bello’s Campaign Organisations,  By Hafsat Abiola

He said, “We’re urging your lordship to stay proceedings pending the hearing and determination of the appeal court in order to avoid judicial rascality.”

Counsel to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Rotimi Oyedepo (SAN), had, however, objected insisting that no application from Emefiele was taken and ruled on that crystallised to an appeal.

Oyedepo said: “My lord, how can the defendant in this case rush to the Court of Appeal because the (Federal High) Court returned the (case) file to the administrative judge for assignment, owing to the fact that the annual vacation of the court ends on the next adjourned date?

“I submit with due respect that the defendant just went to dump mere documents in the registry of the Appeal Court. Therefore, I urge the court to hold that there is no appeal.”

Oyedepo had also argued that the former CBN governor’s appeal cannot stop the proceedings in this matter because the leave of the court was not sought, as the rule of court has made it mandatory when it is an appeal filed on the ground of mixed fact and law.

 

DAILYPOST

Tags: CBNCourtGodwin Emefeile
Seyi Babalola

Seyi Babalola

Experienced Communications Expert and Journalist with an excellent track record of overseeing every aspect of news publishing from research, news collection/sourcing, editing and distribution. Adept at planning and implementing strategic initiatives across PR, broadcast and digital marketing to attract the target audience. Versatile and proactive individual with interest in public relations, media management, and Fact Checks.

RELATED POST

APC logo
Latest News

‘We’re Studying the Results to Determine Next Line of Action’ – APC Reacts to Osun Defeat

by Ogochukwu Isioma
August 16, 2026
0

The Osun State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has said that the leadership of the party is currently...

Read moreDetails
CBN Scraps Deposit Limits, Increases Weekly Withdrawal Threshold

CBN: Nigeria’s Domestic Economy Expanded by 3.87% in 2025

August 5, 2026
Supreme Court Declares Rivers LG Election Invalid, Null, Void

Supreme Court Upholds Death Sentence of Man Convicted for Killing Another

July 27, 2026
CBN Scraps Deposit Limits, Increases Weekly Withdrawal Threshold

CBN Fails to Publish Annual Financial Statements Since 2022

July 23, 2026
CBN Launches DocFlow, MDA Naira Payment Solutions

CBN Retains MPR at 26.5%

July 21, 2026
JUST IN: Nigeria’s Inflation Rate Drops for 6th Consecutive Time

Nigeria’s Inflation Records First Drop in 3 Months Ahead of CBN Interest Rate Decision

July 16, 2026
Load More

APO

Recent Posts

  • OPINION | Time for Gusau NFF Board to Quit, By Danladi Bako
  • ’40 Vehicle Assembly Plants Now Operational in Nigeria’, Says Automotive Council
  • Subsidy Savings: Account for ₦10.4tn Received, NECA Tells States, LGs
  • Ebonyi LG Polls: Police Restrict Movement Saturday
  • 2027: Okorocha Sues INEC, APC, Uzodinma over Imo West Ticket

Recommended

Diddy Files for Gag Order, Cites Grand Jury Witness Interview Outside Courthouse

S3x Trafficking: Sean Diddy’s Top Lawyer Quits Case Ahead of Trial

1 year ago
Nassarawa 2023: Jonathan’s ex-Minister Maku dumps APGA, Returns to PDP

Nassarawa 2023: Jonathan’s ex-Minister Maku dumps APGA, Returns to PDP

4 years ago
MetrowatchXtra

MetrowatchXtra is an online daily newspaper poised to act as a catalyst in our debate and desire for well-governed Nigeria and provide the much-needed platform for all, irrespective of social, religious or political divide, to express their views.
Metrowatchxtra Nigeria

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Politics
  • World
  • Business
  • Science
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved