• About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Sunday, August 23, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Register
MetrowatchXtra
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
No Result
View All Result
MetrowatchXtra
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest News

Don’t Release My Documents to Atiku — Tinubu tells Chicago Varsity | METROWATCH

•school pledges to release it if court orders

Ogochukwu Isioma by Ogochukwu Isioma
August 26, 2023
0 0
0
*L-R: Atiku and Tinubu

*L-R: Atiku and Tinubu

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has asked the Chicago State University (CSU) not to release his academic credentials to the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar.

On August 23, Tinubu’s attorney submitted a statement as part of his legal argument in his response to the suit filed by Atiku at a United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois in Chicago, demanding that CSU release all of his academic records over irregularities in the certificate he submitted to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

In his response, Tinubu said a clerical error was responsible for discrepancies on the certificate issued to him by the varsity.

According to filings by Oluwole Afolabi and Christopher Carmichael, Tinubu’s lawyers, an unidentified clerk of the university made the error about the date the school stated on his recently-issued certificate, thereby creating “the appearance of differences.”

This submission followed Judge Jeffrey Gilbert’s directive to Tinubu to provide an explanation by August 23 regarding the potential release of his academic records at CSU to Atiku.

Earlier this month, Atiku had sought court approval to issue a subpoena for Tinubu’s records. This move was prompted by Atiku’s belief that the documents would help clarify significant inconsistencies in Tinubu’s background.

There have been allegations bordering on discrepancies with Tinubu’s certificate. His credentials showed he graduated from CSU in 1979 with a bachelor’s degree in business administration, accounting and management.

In the suit filed before the US district court, Atiku prayed the court to subpoena Tinubu’s files domiciled with CSU. The former vice president said the files would settle the controversy surrounding Tinubu’s academic background and aid the election petition tribunal.

The university, in its response to the application, said it did not “understand” why Tinubu’s academic records “could possibly have any bearing on a 2023 election challenge in a foreign country.”

READ ALSO  Tinubu: I’m Taking Baby Steps of Pains to Fix Nigeria | METROWATCH

It, however, agreed to release the credentials once the court issues the order but pleaded with the court to be specific with the demands it sought.

The statement read: “In the event the court determines to allow any discovery to proceed here, the university urges the court to direct only limited, targeted discovery on the university.

“Similarly, the university defers to Tinubu on whether any of the discovery information sought here is appropriate under 28 U.S.C. 1782, including whether it is relevant to the pending Nigerian proceeding. The University struggles to understand how -given that Tinubu did in fact graduate from the University in 1979 – Tinubu’s grades and other student records from the 1970s and date and signatory information on subsequently issued ceremonial diplomas could possibly have any bearing on a 2023 election challenge in a foreign country.

“But the University is admittedly not familiar with the issues in the Nigerian proceeding or the evidentiary and other legal principles applicable therein. Accordingly, the University defers to Tinubu – who obviously is familiar with these issues and directly involved in that foreign proceeding – to advance procedural and relevancy objections to the application.

“In a recent conference with Abubakar’s counsel about the aplication, Abubakar’s counsel confirmed that the evidentiary phase of the Nigerian proceeding has concluded, but that the information sought in the application might be introduced in appellate proceedings to come. The University respectfully requests that this Court, in ruling on the application, scrutinise both the actual status of the Nigerian proceeding and the likelihood that any discovery information provided by the University would in fact be considered in the Nigerian proceeding.

“Finally, in the event the Court determines to allow any discovery to proceed here, the University urges the Court to direct only limited, targeted discovery on the University,” CSU said in a response filed by Michael Hayes, its counsel.

READ ALSO  May 29: Tinubu Returns to Nigeria After 10-days in Europe | METROWATCH

“As leave to issue any discovery has not yet been granted, and the Court’s views on what if any discovery is appropriate here under 28 U.S.C. §1782 are not yet known, it is premature for the University to raise objections to the scope of the documents and information sought in Abubakar’s two subpoenas.

“But without limiting further objections, which the University expressly reserves, the University notes that the scope and relevancy of certain of Abubakar’s requests are clearly inappropriate.

“For example, Abubakar’s document subpoena Request No. 5 seeks information on diplomas issued by the University for a 44-year period (1979 to the present), and Abubakar’s deposition subpoena Topic No. 7 seeks information on the employment status and reasons for departure of a former employee in the University’s General Counsel’s Office.

“Following this Court’s ruling on the Application, should any discovery be permitted, the University will meet and confer promptly and in good faith with Abubakar’s counsel to attempt to address all the University’s concerns.”

On June 23, the presidential election petition tribunal admitted certified copies of Tinubu’s academic and professional records tendered by Abubakar and the PDP. The documents, which include a BSc certificate from Chicago State University, a National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) discharge certificate and Mobil Nigeria Oil Plc certificate of service, were tendered through a witness. On July 4, a counsel to Tinubu submitted 12 documents containing the president’s educational records from CSU.

The petitioners — Abubakar and Peter Obi of the Labour Party (LP) — told the court that Tinubu allegedly distorted his age and has conflicting academic and personal records.

The tribunal has completed proceedings on the case against Tinubu and will announce a date for judgment.

Tags: Academic RecordBOLA TINUBUChicago UniversityPresidential Tribunal
Ogochukwu Isioma

Ogochukwu Isioma

Ogochukwu Isioma is a Master's degree holder in International Affairs and Diplomacy (with Distinction) from the Amadu Bello University, Zaria. With over half a decade-long active journalism practice, Ogochukwu is the Founder and Publisher of popular education-focused online medium, CAMPUS GIST, and currently writes for METROWATCH. He can be reached via ogochukwuisioma@gmail.com.

RELATED POST

League of Imams & Alfas Urges Tinubu to Direct Release of Osun Local Government Funds
Latest News

ICPC Discovers another Fake Agency as Tinubu Orders Arrest of 3 Perm Secs

by Ogochukwu Isioma
August 21, 2026
0

By Ogochukwu Isioma President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has ordered the immediate arrest of George Nwabueze over the alleged operation of...

Read moreDetails
Tinubu Orders Implementation of Pension Increase, Free Healthcare for Retirees

BREAKING | Nigeria to Decriminalise Attempted Suicide, Says Health Minister

August 19, 2026
Tinubu Appoints Enitan as New Head of Service

Tinubu Appoints Enitan as New Head of Service

August 19, 2026
Osun Election: ‘Agreement is Agreement’ – Keyamo Hails Adeleke over Tinubu Endorsement

Osun Election: ‘Agreement is Agreement’ – Keyamo Hails Adeleke over Tinubu Endorsement

August 16, 2026
Osun Residents Celebrate Supreme Court’s Judgment Affirming Adeleke as Governor | METROWATCH

Tinubu: ‘Adeleke’s Victory, a Fitting Assurance that Democracy will Continue to Flourish in Nigeria’

August 16, 2026
Defections: ‘Democracy Strong and Alive in Nigeria’, Tinubu Tells Critics

JUST IN | Tinubu: ‘I Feel Deeply Embarrassed by EFCC Action in Osun’, Orders a Halt

August 6, 2026
Load More

APO

Recent Posts

  • Davido Free to Visit, Edo Govt Clear 
  • Nigerian Filling Stations Increase Fuel Pump Price
  • 2027: Yari, Oshiomhole, Gbaja, Others Appointed as Tinubu Unveils Campaign Council
  • US Judge Strikes Down Trump Visa Ban Affecting Nigeria, 74 Other Countries 
  • Fire Outbreak Rocks SPAR Outlet in Calabar

Recommended

When I Die, Feed My Body to My Family to Eat — Phyna says in cryptic message | METROWATCH

‘No Woman Can Say She Hasn’t Done Abortion Once or Twice’ – BBNaija Phyna | METROWATCH

3 years ago
2 Female Journalists Unveil Book on Gov Yahaya Bello at 47

2 Female Journalists Unveil Book on Gov Yahaya Bello at 47

4 years ago
MetrowatchXtra

MetrowatchXtra is an online daily newspaper poised to act as a catalyst in our debate and desire for well-governed Nigeria and provide the much-needed platform for all, irrespective of social, religious or political divide, to express their views.
Metrowatchxtra Nigeria

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Politics
  • World
  • Business
  • Science
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved