• About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Friday, February 20, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Register
MetrowatchXtra
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
No Result
View All Result
MetrowatchXtra
No Result
View All Result
Home SECURITY

2,167 Repentant Insurgents Graduate from FG’s Programme, Says Official | METROWATCH

Seyi Babalola by Seyi Babalola
May 12, 2023
0 0
0
*The repentant militants...

*The repentant militants...

By Deji Abdulwahab

No fewer than 2,167 repentant insurgents have graduated from the Operation Safe Corridor’s (OPSC) Deradicalisation, Rehabilitation and Reintegration (DRR) programme, organised by the Federal Government, an official has said.

Mr Audu Ayuba, the Assistant Director of Planning, Research and Strategy, National Orientation Agency (NOA), disclosed this on Friday at a capacity building workshop for staff members of the agency.

The workshop was on Preventing and Countering Violent Extremism (PCVE), and Disengagement, Disassociation, Reintegration and Reconciliation (DDRR) in Abuja.

Ayuba, who presented a paper titled, “Overview of Operation Safe Corridor (OPSC)”, said that out of the 2,167 trainees, 2,140 were Nigerians and 27 foreigners from Cameroun, Chad and Niger.

“Since the inception of the OPSC DRR programme, 2,167 clients have graduated comprising 2,140 Nigerians and 27 foreigners (Cameroun, Chad and Niger).

“They were successfully handed over to their national and state authorities for reintegration. The programme was accepted by the state governments, community leaders and people of the North-East.

“This was achieved due to continuous community sensitisation visits to Borno, Adamawa and Yobe (BAY) states by the OPSC with the help of technical partners and visits by the state delegates to DRR camp to see their indigenes.

“There is increased support from development partners and NGOs, both national and international partners such as International Organisation for Migration, Centre for Democracy and Development, United Nations Children’s Fund, Swiss Embassy, etc.’’

READ ALSO  BoI Clarifies Disbursement of Grants Under NG-CARES Programme

The NOA director said that more of the clients had been accepted in their communities and the level of stigmatisation had reduced due to the strategic communication on DDRR, PCVE and OPSC carried out by the stakeholders.

“There is an increase in the number of new admissions for the DRR programme.

“More recently, more than 100,000 Boko Haram fighters and their families have surrendered to the Borno Government due to peace dialogue initiative with the insurgents.

“The DRR camp graduated 559 clients on March 25, 2023.

“There have been construction of more hostel accommodation with capacity for 1,500 clients, the programme has also received international recognition as witnessed by the visits of delegations from Cameroun, Chad, Niger and some foreign institutions to study it.

“Furthermore, the United Nation’s Deputy Secretary-General, Amina Mohammed, visited the DRR camp in Gombe on 30 June, 2021,’’ he said.

Ayuba said that the clients were exposed to vocational training of their choice, which included barbing, carpentry, cosmetology, farming, leather works, tailoring, cap weaving/embroidery and welding.

According to him, farming is made compulsory to all the clients in addition to any trade of their choice.

“Some proposed vocational activities that are awaiting approval by partners include: photography, block making, bread/pastry making, driving and maintenance, food processing, painting, plumbing and repair of basic technological devices such as phones and radios,” Ayuba added.

READ ALSO  Yuletide: Governor Adeleke Gifts 40 Bags of Rice to Each Ward in Osun, Approves Distribution Committee

In his remarks, the Director-General, NOA, Dr Garba Abari, said that OPSC was an initiative of the Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) to encourage willing and repentant Boko Haram (BH) insurgents to surrender and embrace peace.

“From 2009, when the Boko Haram insurgency started, to date, many lives have been lost, tens of thousands of people displaced, Nigeria and Nigerians suffered economically, socially, politically, culturally and above all suffered serious security challenges leaving citizens in fear.

“The activities of Boko Haram and Islamic State of West African Province (ISWAP) members in the North-Eastern part of Nigeria were major concerns to the government and people of Nigeria as well as international community.

“As we all know, NOA is mandated to mobilise, sensitise and orientate Nigerians on the policies, programme and activities of the government.

“It equally provides feedback to the government on how the citizens feel about governance and what they expect from government at all levels.’’

According to the director-general, the Agency’s role in OPSC is to mobilise and sensitise the government and people of the North-East on why the Federal Government created the OPSC.

“We are also mobilising and sensitising the Boko Haram fighters in the bush on the need to surrender, lay down their arms and embrace peace as government does not want to continue to kill its citizens,’’ he said. (NAN)

Tags: FGInsurgentsNigerian Military
Seyi Babalola

Seyi Babalola

Experienced Communications Expert and Journalist with an excellent track record of overseeing every aspect of news publishing from research, news collection/sourcing, editing and distribution. Adept at planning and implementing strategic initiatives across PR, broadcast and digital marketing to attract the target audience. Versatile and proactive individual with interest in public relations, media management, and Fact Checks.

RELATED POST

Military was Taken Aback By Attempted Coup on Tinubu, Retired General Speaks (Video)
Latest News

Military was Taken Aback By Attempted Coup on Tinubu, Retired General Speaks (Video)

by Kemi Sheriepha
January 28, 2026
0

Retired Brigadier General Sani Kukasheka-Usman, a former Director of Army Public Relations, said the military was taken by surprise by...

Read moreDetails
Beyond the Numbers: Addressing the Real Issues in Nigeria’s Basic Education, By Monday Ekpe

OPINION BY MONDAY PHILIPS EKPE | The Latest FG-ASUU Agreement

January 24, 2026
Nigerian Military Orders Removal Of Unauthorised Checkpoints Nationwide (Full List)

Nigerian Military Orders Removal Of Unauthorised Checkpoints Nationwide (Full List)

December 11, 2025
PHOTOS | Tinubu Returns to Abuja after Saudi Trip

Tinubu’s Minister Resigns amid Controversy on ‘Bandits’ Hiding Place and Bombs’

December 2, 2025
Defections: ‘Democracy Strong and Alive in Nigeria’, Tinubu Tells Critics

Retract Labeling of APC, PDP as Terrorist Organizations – Nigerian Govt Warns Canada

August 16, 2025
Court Grants AGF’s Request to Extradite Alleged Fraud Suspect to USA

Minimum Wage/Welfare: Nigerian Judiciary Workers Threaten Strike from June 2

May 31, 2025
Load More

APO

Recent Posts

  • Gov Fintiri’s APC Gambit: A Sinister Shadow Threatening to Engulf the Party in Flames, By Prof Ahmed Abubakar Jallo
  • BREAKING | US Supreme Court Strikes down Trump’s Global Tariffs
  • 8 Years after Dapchi Abduction, Leah Sharibu’s Parents Renew Plea for Rescue
  • REPORT | Trump Considers Limited Strike on Iran to Press Nuclear Deal
  • Man Remanded over Alleged R@pe of Nigerian Model, Fems and Her Friend After Luring Them with Fake Modeling Job

Recommended

Governor Hope Uzodimma Hosts Super Falcons Players | METROWATCH

Governor Hope Uzodimma Hosts Super Falcons Players | METROWATCH

3 years ago
Petrol Subsidy Retention: Buhari Kicks the Can Down the Road

Petrol Subsidy Retention: Buhari Kicks the Can Down the Road

4 years ago
MetrowatchXtra

MetrowatchXtra is an online daily newspaper poised to act as a catalyst in our debate and desire for well-governed Nigeria and provide the much-needed platform for all, irrespective of social, religious or political divide, to express their views.
Metrowatchxtra Nigeria

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Politics
  • World
  • Business
  • Science
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved