The United Kingdom has completed a “rapid and complex” evacuation of British diplomats and their families from Sudan amid the ongoing fighting.
Prime Minister Rishi Sunak confirmed the evacuation on Sunday, saying there had been a “significant escalation in violence and threats to embassy staff”.
“I pay tribute to the commitment of our diplomats and bravery of the military personnel who carried out this difficult operation,” Mr Sunak tweeted.
“We are continuing to pursue every avenue to end the bloodshed in Sudan and ensure the safety of British nationals remaining in the country.
“I urge the parties to lay down their arms and implement an immediate humanitarian ceasefire to ensure civilians can leave conflict zones.”
The UK government previously said it is “doing everything possible” to support British nationals currently in Sudan as fighting in the African nation rages on.
Mr Sunak chaired a COBRA meeting on Saturday morning amid the continued fighting, the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office has confirmed.
Defence Secretary Ben Wallace and Africa minister Andrew Mitchell were also in attendance.
A spokesperson for the government said: “We recognise that the situation is extremely concerning for British nationals trapped by the fighting in Sudan.
“We are doing everything possible to support British nationals and diplomatic staff in Khartoum, and the Ministry of Defence is working with the Foreign Office to prepare for a number of contingencies.”
There were also two COBRA meetings on Friday.
Fighting has been raging in Khartoun, Sudan, as different military factions battle for control.
Violence has broken out between the army and the powerful paramilitary group, the Rapid Support Forces.
While the groups were allies and seized power in 2021, tensions have increased over the proposed integration of the forces into the Sudanese military.
Over 400 people have been killed in the fighting, the World Health Organisation has said.
(Courtesy, excluding headline, NewsNow)