• About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Register
MetrowatchXtra
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
No Result
View All Result
MetrowatchXtra
No Result
View All Result
Home POLITICS

Tinubu/Obi Disqualification Suit: Court to Decide, Says INEC  

•Speaks on relevant sections of electoral act 2022 on election

MetrowatchXtra by MetrowatchXtra
July 15, 2022
0 0
0
•Bola Tinubu (l) and Peter Obi (r).

•Bola Tinubu (l) and Peter Obi (r).

By Abraham Olatunbosun

 

Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says the question of whether or not to disqualify the APC and LP presidential candidates for next year’s election, was for the Court to answer.

The Commission’s spokesman, Festus Okoye, made the clarification, while answering questions on ARISE TV on Friday.

Recall that the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), which filed the suit, had asked the court to rule that Tinubu and Obi cannot run for the office unless they do so with their respective former running mates, Kabiru Masari and Doyin Okupe.

In the originating summons with suit number FHC/ABJ/CS/1016/2022, the PDP is seeking an order barring the INEC from replacing the running mates of Tinubu and Obi.

The first to seventh respondents in the case are INEC, APC, Tinubu, Masari, Labour Party, Obi, and Okupe.

The PDP asked the court to determine if by the combined interpretation of Section 142(1) of the constitution, Section 29(1), 31, and 33 of the Electoral Act 2022, and INEC’s timetable, Tinubu and Obi are bound by the submission of Masari and Okupe respectively as their running mates.

Speaking about the suit during an ARISE TV interview on Friday, Festus Okoye, the INEC Commissioner for Information and Voter Education Committee, said only the court could decide if the presidential candidates who swapped their running mates could be disqualified on those bases.

READ ALSO  2023 Presidency: Why ‘Cabals’ want Jonathan back in Office — Olu Falae

He further added that the commission is unaware if they had been served with the court processes as the INEC chairman, himself and other national commissioners had just returned from Osun State where they held meetings with stakeholders ahead of Saturday’s governorship election in the state.

He said; “So, I am not aware of whether we’ve been served with any document relating to any suit of the complexion that you have talked about. But let me just say that if a matter is in court, the matter is sub-judice and we are not supposed to comment on it. Secondly, when political parties submitted the names of their presidential candidates and their vice-presidential candidates, there was no provision for a placeholder in the forms they submitted.

“They submitted the forms for their presidential candidates and they submitted the forms for the vice-presidential candidates and that is the situation.

“However, if you look at section 33 of the Electoral 22, it says that a political party shall not be allowed to substitute or change its candidate whose name has been submitted under section 29 of the Electoral Act, except in the case of death or withdrawal by the candidate. But it goes ahead to say that provided that in the case of such a withdrawal or death of the candidate, the political parties affected shall within occurrence of the event hold a fresh primary election to produce and submit a fresh candidate to the commission for the election concerned.

“This is the particular position that we are following. In the case of Senatorial candidates and House of Representatives candidates and so on and so forth, it is mandatory for them to hold fresh party primaries (after) the withdrawal of their candidates.”

Okoye added, “But in the case of a presidential candidate and in the case of a governorship candidate, the political parties nominate a vice presidential candidate and also a deputy governorship candidate. Whether they are candidates or not and whether they are supposed to go into the fresh 14-day primaries, I am not in a position to make a determination in relation to that.”

 

READ ALSO  2023: Okupe Withdraws for Peter Obi, backs Igbo Presidency

 

 

•Additional report by Naija News 

Tags: Bola Ahmed TinubuFederal High CourtINECPDPPeter Obi
MetrowatchXtra

MetrowatchXtra

RELATED POST

Let’s Bet, Tinubu Will Win 2027 Election, Wike Challenges El-Rufai
Latest News

‘Political 419’, Wike Dismisses Makinde’s PDP-APM Alliance

by Kemi Sheriepha
May 14, 2026
0

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) minister Nyesom Wike on Thursday dismissed the alliance between the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the...

Read moreDetails
2027: Makinde Declares Presidential Bid, Forms Alliance with APM  

2027: Makinde Declares Presidential Bid, Forms Alliance with APM  

May 14, 2026
PDP Governors Head to Supreme Court over Rivers Emergency Rule

Wike-led PDP Begins Screening of Presidential, Governorship Aspirants

May 14, 2026
May Day: Eswatini Bans Rally, Labour Union Heads to Court

Court Dismisses ADA Suit against INEC for Lacking in Merit

May 13, 2026
Ibadan Stampede: Justice Must be Served, Governor Makinde Says

Makinde to Declare Presidential Ambition, Unveil PDP-APM Alliance May 14

May 12, 2026
JUST IN: Constituents Petition INEC, Begin Process to Recall Enugu Rep, Martins Oke

INEC to Deploy 1.4m Corps Members for 2027 Elections

May 12, 2026
Load More

APO

Recent Posts

  • Yahaya Bello Wins APC Kogi Central Senate Primary, Sweeps all 5 LGAs
  • Nigerians Slam Sheikh Gumi over Ransom-for-Kidnappers Comments
  • 2027: Court Sets May 26 to Determine Jonathan’s Eligibility
  • Picture of Kidnapped Oyo Teacher Beheaded by Bandits
  • APC Senatorial Primaries: National Organising Secretary Clears Oden Ewa for Cross River Central, Others

Recommended

K.O. Mbadiwe University Now Fully-owned by Imo State, Says Uzodinma

Hope Uzodimma and the Courage to Lead

4 years ago
Benjamin Netanyahu

‘Every Hamas Member is a Dead Man’ — Israel’s Natanyahu vows ‘full force on all fronts’ | METROWATCH

3 years ago
MetrowatchXtra

MetrowatchXtra is an online daily newspaper poised to act as a catalyst in our debate and desire for well-governed Nigeria and provide the much-needed platform for all, irrespective of social, religious or political divide, to express their views.
Metrowatchxtra Nigeria

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Politics
  • World
  • Business
  • Science
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved