• About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Register
MetrowatchXtra
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
No Result
View All Result
MetrowatchXtra
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest News

Electoral Act: Senate Retains Manual Backup for Result Transmission

The resolution followed a tense plenary session in which 15 lawmakers opposed the retention of the controversial proviso in Clause 60 of the Electoral Act (Repeal and Re-Enactment) Bill, 2026

Kemi Sheriepha by Kemi Sheriepha
February 18, 2026
0 0
0

The Senate has endorsed the electronic transmission of election results while retaining manual collation as an alternative backup method.

The resolution followed a tense plenary session in which 15 lawmakers opposed the retention of the controversial proviso in Clause 60 of the Electoral Act (Repeal and Re-Enactment) Bill, 2026.

The red chamber of the National Assembly arrived at this decision following a dramatic division on the floor, with 55 senators voting to retain the manual backup clause, while Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe (ADC/Abia South) and 14 others stood against it.

Recall that the Senate had initially passed the bill but later rescinded its decision and recommitted it to the Committee of the Whole after fresh concerns were raised.

READ ALSO  PHOTOS | Inside Lionel Messi's over $10m Residence in Florida | METROWATCH

The plenary session on Tuesday was dominated by a renewed battle over Clause 60, which deals with the transmission and collation of election results.

The session reconvened with Senator Abaribe seeking a division on the clause, sparking a rowdy debate.

It will also be recalled that Abaribe had attempted a similar move during an emergency plenary last week but later made a U-turn, a development that drew public criticism and internal grumblings within the chamber.

Senate President Godswill Akpabio reminded colleagues of Abaribe’s earlier failed attempt.

“People were mocking you on social media,” Akpabio said, noting that the previous demand had been withdrawn.

Various opposition senators immediately objected, insisting that the matter was properly before the chamber.

READ ALSO  You Can No Longer Conduct My Trial, Nnamdi Kanu to Justice Nyako

 

Metrowatchxtra

Tags: Electoral ActNigerian Senate
Kemi Sheriepha

Kemi Sheriepha

RELATED POST

Electronic Transmission of Results is Mandatory, House of Reps Spokesman Insists
Latest News

Electronic Transmission of Results is Mandatory, House of Reps Spokesman Insists

by Kemi Sheriepha
February 18, 2026
0

The Spokesperson for the House of Representatives, Akin Rotimi, confirmed on Tuesday that the electronic transmission of election results remains...

Read moreDetails
Senate Constitutes 12-Member Ad Hoc Committee On Alleged Christian Genocide In Nigeria

2027: Nigeria Senate Insists ‘INEC Lacks Capacity to Conduct e-Voting’

February 13, 2026
Ambassadorial Screening: Fani-Kayode, Reno Omokri, others Arrive Senate 

Electoral Act: Senate to Hold Emergency Sitting Tuesday

February 9, 2026
OPINION | Cash for Legislative Approval, By Dakuku Peterside

OPINION | Electoral Transparency in Reverse Gear, By Dakuku Peterside

February 9, 2026
Tax Reform Bills Not Withdrawn, Senate Can’t Be Intimidated, Akpabio Says

No Network in 9 States, Akpabio Justifies Senate Decision on Electronic Transmission

February 9, 2026
Senate Constitutes 12-Member Ad Hoc Committee On Alleged Christian Genocide In Nigeria

Electoral Act: Don’t Act as Overlords, Listen to Nigerians, PLAC Tells Senate

February 6, 2026
Load More

APO

Recent Posts

  • How Thugs Broke into Ondo APC Secretariat, Assault Chairman, NDDC Commissioner, Others
  • Electronic Transmission of Results is Mandatory, House of Reps Spokesman Insists
  • Electoral Act: Senate Retains Manual Backup for Result Transmission
  • ₦432 Billion Probe: Nasir El-Rufai Spends Second Night with EFCC as DSS Files Fresh Charge
  • Monarch Appeals to Tinubu to Release Nnamdi Kanu

Recommended

Bola Tinubu

PHOTOS | Tinubu Meets Brazil’s President in Ethiopia | METROWATCH

2 years ago
Nyesom Wike

Wike Releases Fresh Statement on G-5 ahead Feb 25 Election

3 years ago
MetrowatchXtra

MetrowatchXtra is an online daily newspaper poised to act as a catalyst in our debate and desire for well-governed Nigeria and provide the much-needed platform for all, irrespective of social, religious or political divide, to express their views.
Metrowatchxtra Nigeria

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Politics
  • World
  • Business
  • Science
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved