• About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Monday, May 18, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Register
MetrowatchXtra
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
No Result
View All Result
MetrowatchXtra
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest News

US President Donald Trump to Sue BBC for $1 BILLION for Editing One of His Speeches

Trump accused BBC of allegedly trying to "interfere in the presidential election" last year by editing one of his speeches

Kemi Sheriepha by Kemi Sheriepha
November 11, 2025
0 0
0

President Donald Trump has revealed his plan to sue the BBC for $1 billion if his demands are not met.

This comes after BBC allegedly edited the president’s speech.

Trump accused BBC of allegedly trying to “interfere in the presidential election” last year by editing one of his speeches.

A letter sent to BBC Chairman Samir Shah at Television Centre by his legal team in Florida says: ‘President Trump will be left with no alternative but to enforce his legal and equitable rights, all of which are expressly reserved and are not waived, including by filing legal action for no less than $1,000,000,000 (One Billion Dollars) in damages.

‘Due to their salacious nature, the fabricated statements that were aired by the BBC have been widely disseminated throughout various digital mediums, which have reached tens of millions of people worldwide. Consequently, the BBC has caused President Trump to suffer overwhelming financial and reputational harm’.

The letter from his lawyer, Alejandro Brito, adds: ‘The BBC is on notice’.

Mr Brito says Mr Trump has three demands. By close of business on Friday the BBC must issue a full and fair retraction, issue an apology, and ‘appropriately compensate President Trump for the harm caused’.

Mr Trump issued the legal letter after it emerged Panorama had selectively edited his speech before the January 6 Capitol riot to remove a section where he told supporters to demonstrate peacefully. The scandal has brought down the Director General Tim Davie and the CEO of BBC News, Deborah Turness.

READ ALSO  Peter Obi Remains Consistent in Building a Better Society, Says Cleric 

A BBC spokesman said: ‘We will review the letter and respond directly in due course.’

It came as BBC chairman Samir Shah made an apology to Mr Trump and admitted he was willing to say sorry in person.

‘He’s a litigious fellow. So we should be prepared for all outcomes’, he said when asked if he knew whether the President will sue.

Mr Trump said last night that the BBC is a ‘corrupt’ organisation and called Tim Davie and Deborah Turness, who have resigned over the scandal, ‘very dishonest people’.

A spokesperson for Trump’s legal team told NBC: ‘The BBC defamed President Trump by intentionally and deceitfully editing its documentary in order to try and interfere in the Presidential Election. President Trump will continue to hold accountable those who traffic in lies, deception, and fake news’.

The revelation comes shortly after Mr Shah used his first remarks since the resignations of director general Tim Davie and head of news Deborah Turness to mount a defence of the corporation.

Mr Shah accused Michael Prescott, who wrote a critical memo that ultimately prompted the resignations, of offering a ‘personal account’ which gives only a ‘partial’ view of events.

READ ALSO  Okowa Condoles with Adesina, AfDB President, over Mother's Death

In a 1,600-word letter to the Culture, Media and Sport Committee (CMS), Mr Shah admitted there were ‘occasions when the BBC gets things wrong’ but claimed the leaked report did not present the full picture.

Michael Prescott’s memo gives only a partial description of the evidence that editorial guidelines and standards committee received and considered,’ he said.

He insisted there were no issues the BBC had sought to ‘bury’, adding: ‘That interpretation is simply not true. The issues raised by Mr Prescott are precisely the issues that have been considered by the Editorial Guidelines and Standards Committee [EGSC] and the board.’

Mr Shah said Mr Prescott had relied on evidence compiled by the editorial guidelines and standards committee (EGSC), to produce the dossier.

‘There is another view that has gained currency in the coverage that the BBC has done nothing to tackle these problems. That is also simply not true,’ he said.

‘Over the three years Mr Prescott was an adviser to the EGSC, the BBC has: published corrections where we have got things wrong; changed editorial guidance to make the BBC’s position on issues clearer; made changes to leadership where the problems point to underlying issues; and carried out formal disciplinary measures.’

 

Metrowatchxtra

Tags: BBCPresident Trump
Kemi Sheriepha

Kemi Sheriepha

RELATED POST

War: We’re Coming in to Clean Up, Donald Trump Insists on Ground Invasion of Iran
Latest News

Iran Activates Air Defences as Trump Faces Congressional Deadline

by Kemi Sheriepha
May 1, 2026
0

Tehran’s air defences were activated to counter small aircraft and drones late Thursday, as the White House signalled that it...

Read moreDetails
War: We’re Coming in to Clean Up, Donald Trump Insists on Ground Invasion of Iran

War: US Surprised Iran Can Launch Missile 2,700 Miles, Says Trump

March 28, 2026
Donald Trump Designates Nigeria As ‘Country Of Particular Concern’ Over Christian Genocide Allegations

Donald Trump Warns Iran to ‘Get Serious’ as Talks Continue over Middle East Conflict

March 26, 2026
War: We’re Coming in to Clean Up, Donald Trump Insists on Ground Invasion of Iran

We’re Winding Down, Donald Trump Signals Ceasefire as Iran War Enters 21st Day

March 21, 2026
War: We’re Coming in to Clean Up, Donald Trump Insists on Ground Invasion of Iran

Trump: Iran’s New Supreme Leader Alive But ‘Damaged’

March 13, 2026
US President, Trump Threatens South Africa, Gives Reason

REPORT | Trump Considers Limited Strike on Iran to Press Nuclear Deal

February 20, 2026
Load More

APO

Recent Posts

  • Yahaya Bello Wins APC Kogi Central Senate Primary, Sweeps all 5 LGAs
  • Nigerians Slam Sheikh Gumi over Ransom-for-Kidnappers Comments
  • 2027: Court Sets May 26 to Determine Jonathan’s Eligibility
  • Picture of Kidnapped Oyo Teacher Beheaded by Bandits
  • APC Senatorial Primaries: National Organising Secretary Clears Oden Ewa for Cross River Central, Others

Recommended

K.O. Mbadiwe University Now Fully-owned by Imo State, Says Uzodinma

Hope Uzodimma and the Courage to Lead

4 years ago
Benjamin Netanyahu

‘Every Hamas Member is a Dead Man’ — Israel’s Natanyahu vows ‘full force on all fronts’ | METROWATCH

3 years ago
MetrowatchXtra

MetrowatchXtra is an online daily newspaper poised to act as a catalyst in our debate and desire for well-governed Nigeria and provide the much-needed platform for all, irrespective of social, religious or political divide, to express their views.
Metrowatchxtra Nigeria

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Politics
  • World
  • Business
  • Science
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved