• About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Saturday, May 23, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Register
MetrowatchXtra
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
No Result
View All Result
MetrowatchXtra
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest News

We Will Take Over The Street, NLC Threatens Total Shutdown of Abuja

Kemi Sheriepha by Kemi Sheriepha
June 26, 2025
0 0
0

The Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) has threatened to shutdown the federal capital territory, Abuja.

According to the state Chairman, Stephen Knabayi during an interview with newsmen in Abuja on Thursday, NLC will shutdown FCT after President Bola Tinubu concludes his projects’ inauguration on July 3.

Knabayi explained that the move was to draw the attention of the FCT Administration to address the area council workers’ lingering strike.

Primary health care centres were under lock and key, primary school teachers had been at home, and the six area councils’ Secretariat were abandoned by the workers for months.

The primary school teachers and other area council workers had embarked on strikes over the non-payment of the minimum wage and a 40 per cent peculiar allowance.

READ ALSO  Nnamdi Kanu’s Family Kicks Against Alleged Media Misrepresentation of Court Proceedings

The NLC chair, who described the development as “very unfortunate”, said that the area council chairmen left the union with no option but to shut down the FCT.

He recalled that the union had issued a seven-day ultimatum to the FCT Administration on June 13 to address the demands of the teachers, health workers, and other area council workers.

He explained that the ultimatum followed the resolution of the executives of the joint unions of the NUT, the Nigeria Union of Local Government Employees and the National Association of Health Workers Union.

He noted that the ultimatum expired on June 20, and the NLC had yet to take any action.

Knabayi explained that the union backpedalled to allow President Bola Tinubu to complete the inauguration of projects executed by the FCT Administration as part of activities to celebrate his second year in office.

READ ALSO  Nnamdi Kanu Release : South East Senators to Meet AGF | METROWATCH

“We had to extend the ultimatum because of Tinubu’s movements to inaugurate the FCT-executed project.

“Members of the union will take over the streets of Abuja as soon as Tinubu concludes the inaugurations, hopefully on July 3.

“We are waiting for it to end, and we will come together to step up our planned action,” he said.

He added that the NLC had already informed the FCT Administration and security agencies of the planned protest, which would shut down the territory as a last resort to press home their demands.

 

Metrowatchxtra

 

Tags: AbujaNLCTinubu
Kemi Sheriepha

Kemi Sheriepha

RELATED POST

Tinubu Appoints 40-year-old Prof Segun Aina as New Registrar of JAMB
EDUCATION

Tinubu Appoints 40-year-old Prof Segun Aina as New Registrar of JAMB

by Kemi Sheriepha
May 21, 2026
0

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has appointed Professor Segun Aina as the new Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board...

Read moreDetails
I Thought Tinubu Approved Obasa’s Removal, Says Desmond Elliot

I Thought Tinubu Approved Obasa’s Removal, Says Desmond Elliot

May 19, 2026
IFC Coming to Nigeria to Invest in Livestock, Energy, Housing, Says MD Diop Makhtar

IFC Coming to Nigeria to Invest in Livestock, Energy, Housing, Says MD Diop Makhtar

May 15, 2026
I Can Only Afford N5,000 Feeding Allowance for My 2 Children, Man Tells Court

I Can Only Afford N5,000 Feeding Allowance for My 2 Children, Man Tells Court

May 12, 2026
Hardship: Organised Labour to Renegotiate New Minimum Wage

NLC Rallies South African Labour Leaders against Xenophobic Attacks

May 8, 2026
Sowore to Lead Protest Today over Withheld NYSC Certificate of Raye

Anti-Tinubu Post: You’ve a Case to Answer, Court Tells Sowore

May 8, 2026
Load More

APO

Recent Posts

  • Gumi Denies Allegations of Supporting Banditry
  • “You didn’t make Buhari president; I did the battle,” Amaechi tackles Tinubu
  • Celebration as Okpebholo, Idahosa, Odubu, Imasuen Others Inspect Reconstructed Oba Market
  • Court Grant CBN Sole Ownership of eNaira Platform
  • NDC Unveils 20-member Screening C’ttee for Gov, NASS Primaries

Recommended

Ilebaye

VIDEO | I Will Unveil My Empire Soon – BBNaija AllStars Winner, Ilebaye Reveals | METROWATCH

2 years ago
Sunday Igboho

VIDEO | BREAKING: Yoruba Nation Activist, Sunday Igboho Back in Nigeria | METROWATCH

2 years ago
MetrowatchXtra

MetrowatchXtra is an online daily newspaper poised to act as a catalyst in our debate and desire for well-governed Nigeria and provide the much-needed platform for all, irrespective of social, religious or political divide, to express their views.
Metrowatchxtra Nigeria

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Politics
  • World
  • Business
  • Science
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved