• About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Friday, February 20, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Register
MetrowatchXtra
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
No Result
View All Result
MetrowatchXtra
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest News

EFCC Recovers N30bn from Humanitarian Ministry’s Looted Funds under Former Minister, Sadiya Umar-Farouk | METROWATCH

Seyi Babalola by Seyi Babalola
February 4, 2024
0 0
0
Sadiya Umar-Farouk

*Sadiya Umar-Farouk

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has recovered over N30bn from the N37,170, 855,753.44 allegedly laundered in the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs under the former minister, Sadiya Umar-Farouk.

Sources in the anti-graft agency, who spoke with our correspondent on Friday, said the commission had also uncovered over N500 million from the scam associated with Umar-Farouk’s successor, Betta Edu, who was recently suspended by President Bola Tinubu.

It had in December reported that N37,170,855,753.44 was transferred from government coffers and sent to 38 different bank accounts domiciled in five legacy commercial banks belonging to or connected with a contractor, James Okwete.

It was gathered on Friday that N30bn was recovered by the EFCC following the placement of a lien on the bank accounts of Umar-Farouq and Okwete, who are still being grilled by the anti-graft agency’s investigators.

The agency is also still grilling Edu in connection with an alleged N17bn fraud, while the suspended Coordinator of the National Social Investment Programme, Halima Shehu, is also still being questioned over an alleged N44bn fraud.

READ ALSO  Obi Tasks Political Office Holders, Says Development is Non-partisan, Non-tribal, Non-religious | METROWATCH

An EFCC source revealed, “The commission has now recovered over N30bn from the laundered N37.1bn that was linked to former minister Sadiya Umar-Farouq. We were able to recover the money after we placed liens on the bank accounts of the former minister and the contractor, Mr Okwete, who was linked to the fraud under probe. Both the minister and the contractor are still being grilled by our investigators daily.”

A senior EFCC investigator added, “We have uncovered another N17bn money laundering from the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, and for the alleged fraud linked to the suspended minister, Betta Edu, we have so far recovered over N500m. Edu is still answering questions about the fraud.

“The NSIPA coordinator, Halima Shehu, is still being grilled over the N44bn fraud linked to her at the NSIPA; our investigators aren’t leaving any stone unturned.”

READ ALSO  Court Jails Two Chinese Nationals Six Years Each Over N50m Bribe

When contacted for comments on the development, the spokesperson for the EFCC, Dele Oyewale declined comments.

In another development, the EFCC said it recovered a total of N70,556,658,370.5 between October 2023 and January 19, 2024.

Details of the recovery were outlined in an EFCC document titled, ‘Operations and Recoveries’, which was exclusively obtained by our correspondent.

The document revealed that in the period under review, the EFCC recovered N60,969,047,634.25, $10,522,778.57, £150,002.10 and €4,119.90, making a total of N70,556,658,370.5.

It added that the EFCC received a total of 3,325 petitions, accepted 2,657 of the petitions, and secured the conviction of 747 persons for financial crimes ranging from money laundering to Internet fraud in the same period.

A breakdown of the data shows that the EFCC headquarters alone recovered N49,607,391,330.44, $3,900,200.75, £2,000, and £110.

 

Text except headline courtesy of Punch

Tags: EFCCSadiya Umar-Farouk
Seyi Babalola

Seyi Babalola

Experienced Communications Expert and Journalist with an excellent track record of overseeing every aspect of news publishing from research, news collection/sourcing, editing and distribution. Adept at planning and implementing strategic initiatives across PR, broadcast and digital marketing to attract the target audience. Versatile and proactive individual with interest in public relations, media management, and Fact Checks.

RELATED POST

2027: Tinubu a Problem for El-Rufai’s Family, APC Chieftain Reveals 
Latest News

Drama as DSS Arrests Nasir El-Rufai Immediately after Release by EFCC

by Kemi Sheriepha
February 19, 2026
0

On Wednesday, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) granted bail to Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, the former Governor of Kaduna...

Read moreDetails
JUST IN: El-Rufai Storms EFCC Headquarters with Hundreds of Supporters

₦432 Billion Probe: Nasir El-Rufai Spends Second Night with EFCC as DSS Files Fresh Charge

February 18, 2026
JUST IN: El-Rufai Storms EFCC Headquarters with Hundreds of Supporters

JUST IN: El-Rufai Storms EFCC Headquarters with Hundreds of Supporters

February 16, 2026
Ex-AGF, Abubakar Malami, 2 Others Begin Bail Battle on N9bn Corruption Charges

JUST IN: Judge Withdraws from EFCC Case against Ex-AGF, Abubakar Malami

February 12, 2026
EFCC Vs Yahaya Bello: Trial Shifted to March 10 as Witness Maintains Transactions Breached No Law

EFCC Vs Yahaya Bello: Trial Shifted to March 10 as Witness Maintains Transactions Breached No Law

February 11, 2026
EFCC Chairman, Official Risk Jail Term Over Contempt of Court

EFCC Seeks Action against Banks Aiding N162Bn Crypto, N18.7Bn Scams

January 24, 2026
Load More

APO

Recent Posts

  • It’s Gangster Style Assault on Popular Will, Pat Utomi Slams Senate, Tinubu Over Controversial Electoral Amendment
  • El-Rufai Treated People with Recklessness, Brutality, He Cannot Complain About Due Process, Says Odinkalu
  • El-Rufai: DSS Reopens Probe into Disappearance of Dadiyata, Set to Invite Suspects
  • JUST IN: Nigerian Senator, Mpigi Barinada is De@d
  • Tinubu Signs Executive Order, Mandates Direct Oil, Gas Revenue Remittance to Federation Account

Recommended

Tragedy as Tanker Explosion Claims 15 Fuel Scoopers in Ondo | METROWATCH

Tragedy as Tanker Explosion Claims 15 Fuel Scoopers in Ondo | METROWATCH

3 years ago
DMO Sells New Bonds Valued at N225Bn

REJOINDER | DMO Issues Clarifications on Nigeria’s Eurobond Issuance | METROWATCH

2 years ago
MetrowatchXtra

MetrowatchXtra is an online daily newspaper poised to act as a catalyst in our debate and desire for well-governed Nigeria and provide the much-needed platform for all, irrespective of social, religious or political divide, to express their views.
Metrowatchxtra Nigeria

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Politics
  • World
  • Business
  • Science
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved