• About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Friday, August 21, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Register
MetrowatchXtra
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
No Result
View All Result
MetrowatchXtra
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest News

Niger Coup | I’m Holding Back ECOWAS, Others from Military Invasion- Tinubu | METROWATCH

Seyi Babalola by Seyi Babalola
August 25, 2023
0 0
0
Bola Tinubu

*Bola Ahmed Tinubu

The Chairman of the ECOWAS Authority of Heads of State and Government, President Bola Tinubu, has implored a delegation of Islamic scholars (Ulamas), who were previously engaged in discussions to facilitate the restoration of constitutional democratic governance in Niger Republic, to expedite progress in their ongoing dialogue with the military junta.

The President received a comprehensive briefing on Thursday at the State House in Abuja, from the Ulamas, who were led into the meeting by Sheikh Bala Lau.

The briefing followed the Ulamas’ two most recent visits to Niger Republic.

The Islamic leaders had informed the President that the military junta was open to deepening dialogue with ECOWAS as more steps are being taken to forestall armed conflict with a more detailed acceptance of the ECOWAS position by Niger military council officials.

Responding to the delegation of Ulamas, against the backdrop of ethnic rumors peddled by domestic political figures inside and outside of the country, President Tinubu emphasized that he is at the forefront of a peaceful resolution of the crisis, even in the midst of more hawkish individuals urging swifter intervention.

READ ALSO  Adeleke’s Certificates Not in Our Custody, Osun REC Tells Tribunal

He said, “I am managing a very serious situation. If you take ECOWAS aside, other people will react, those who are outside of our control. I am the one holding those sides back. I am the one holding back ECOWAS,” he disclosed.

Addressing the urgency of the situation, the president added: ”Even as at this morning, I have been inundated with phone calls on the readiness of countries with their military force and contributions. However, I told them to wait. I am meeting with the Ulamas and I will get back to you.”

President Tinubu told the Islamic delegation that the military junta must be held accountable for putting the entire people of Niger Republic in jeopardy.

”They cannot use the gun given to them to protect the sovereignty of the country and turn it against the people of the country,” he said.

President Tinubu pledged that ECOWAS will remain steadfast in its commitment to diplomatically engage with all stakeholders and seek a peaceful resolution to the impasse in Niger Republic.

READ ALSO  I Did Not Join PDP -- Gbemi Saraki denies online medium's report

“I will draw a line in the sand and ask you to make arrangements to go back to Niger Republic,” he stated.

On the request by the Islamic scholars for the Federal Government to monitor the distribution of palliatives to States, the President promised that more palliatives are coming for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises nationwide.

He also appealed to State governments to ensure transparency and accountability in the distribution and management of these palliatives.

“The people reside in the States. Even if I set up a panel, I will have to go through the governors and the local governments. We will continue to talk to the governors. Nigerians must hold them accountable,” he continued.

“It’s unheard of that in a constitutional democracy, a president will sit here and give orders to States. I can only appeal to them to implement. The people reside in the states, and if the Governor is not doing well, the people must vote them out,” he concluded.

 

PUNCH

Tags: BOLA TINUBUECOWAS
Seyi Babalola

Seyi Babalola

Experienced Communications Expert and Journalist with an excellent track record of overseeing every aspect of news publishing from research, news collection/sourcing, editing and distribution. Adept at planning and implementing strategic initiatives across PR, broadcast and digital marketing to attract the target audience. Versatile and proactive individual with interest in public relations, media management, and Fact Checks.

RELATED POST

Tinubu Orders Implementation of Pension Increase, Free Healthcare for Retirees
HEALTH

BREAKING | Nigeria to Decriminalise Attempted Suicide, Says Health Minister

by Ogochukwu Isioma
August 19, 2026
0

President Bola Tinubu has approved a proposed amendment to Nigeria’s mental health law to end the application of the colonial-era...

Read moreDetails
Tinubu Appoints Enitan as New Head of Service

Tinubu Appoints Enitan as New Head of Service

August 19, 2026
Osun Election: ‘Agreement is Agreement’ – Keyamo Hails Adeleke over Tinubu Endorsement

Osun Election: ‘Agreement is Agreement’ – Keyamo Hails Adeleke over Tinubu Endorsement

August 16, 2026
Osun Residents Celebrate Supreme Court’s Judgment Affirming Adeleke as Governor | METROWATCH

Tinubu: ‘Adeleke’s Victory, a Fitting Assurance that Democracy will Continue to Flourish in Nigeria’

August 16, 2026
Defections: ‘Democracy Strong and Alive in Nigeria’, Tinubu Tells Critics

JUST IN | Tinubu: ‘I Feel Deeply Embarrassed by EFCC Action in Osun’, Orders a Halt

August 6, 2026
Tinubu Welcomes Rescue of 308 Kwara, Niger Kidnap Victims

Tinubu Welcomes Rescue of 308 Kwara, Niger Kidnap Victims

August 5, 2026
Load More

APO

Recent Posts

  • Shettima Praises Fubara over 33.5km Elele-Egbeda-Omoku Road
  • OPINION | Time for Gusau NFF Board to Quit, By Danladi Bako
  • ’40 Vehicle Assembly Plants Now Operational in Nigeria’, Says Automotive Council
  • Subsidy Savings: Account for ₦10.4tn Received, NECA Tells States, LGs
  • Ebonyi LG Polls: Police Restrict Movement Saturday

Recommended

Diddy Files for Gag Order, Cites Grand Jury Witness Interview Outside Courthouse

S3x Trafficking: Sean Diddy’s Top Lawyer Quits Case Ahead of Trial

1 year ago
Nassarawa 2023: Jonathan’s ex-Minister Maku dumps APGA, Returns to PDP

Nassarawa 2023: Jonathan’s ex-Minister Maku dumps APGA, Returns to PDP

4 years ago
MetrowatchXtra

MetrowatchXtra is an online daily newspaper poised to act as a catalyst in our debate and desire for well-governed Nigeria and provide the much-needed platform for all, irrespective of social, religious or political divide, to express their views.
Metrowatchxtra Nigeria

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Politics
  • World
  • Business
  • Science
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved