• About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Register
MetrowatchXtra
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
No Result
View All Result
MetrowatchXtra
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest News

US Revokes over 100,000 Visas, Including Thousands of Student Permits

Officials stated that the move is part of broader efforts to enhance public safety and enforce immigration laws. Reinforcing its stance, the department added: “We will continue to deport these thugs to keep America safe.”

Kemi Sheriepha by Kemi Sheriepha
January 13, 2026
0 0
0

The U.S. State Department has announced that it revoked over 100,000 visas, including thousands held by international students and skilled professionals, since President Donald Trump resumed office last year.

In a statement shared on X on Monday, the department announced: “The State Department has now revoked over 100,000 visas, including some 8,000 student visas and 2,500 specialised visas for individuals who had encounters with U.S. law enforcement for criminal activity.”

Officials stated that the move is part of broader efforts to enhance public safety and enforce immigration laws. Reinforcing its stance, the department added: “We will continue to deport these thugs to keep America safe.”

The volume of the revocations reflects the broad nature of the crackdown Trump initiated when he returned to the White House last year. The administration has claimed to have overseen more than 2.5 million voluntary departures and deportations, a “record-breaking achievement”, it said last month.

READ ALSO  Muslim-Muslim Ticket: Adamawa Senator Resigns from Tinubu’s Support Group

Some of those deportations, however, have included immigrants who held valid visas, raising questions about due process and human rights.

The administration has also adopted a stricter policy for granting visas, with tightened social media vetting and expanded screening.

“We will continue to deport these thugs to keep America safe,” the State Department said in its post on X.

The four leading causes for visa revocations were overstays, driving under the influence, assault, and theft, State Department deputy spokesperson Tommy Pigott said. The revocations marked a 150 percent increase from 2024, he added.

The State Department has also launched a Continuous Vetting Center, aimed at ensuring “all foreign nationals on American soil comply with our laws – and that the visas of those who pose a threat to American citizens are swiftly revoked”, Pigott said.

READ ALSO  Buni: Group Carpets Gov el- Rufai over 'False Claims on CECPC Chairman’s Conduct'

That centre is part of an overall push to restrict who is allowed into the country. The State Department has ordered US diplomats in general to be vigilant against visa applicants whom Washington may see as hostile to the US or who have a history of political activism.

In November, the State Department said it had revoked about 80,000 non-immigrant visas since Trump’s inauguration, for offences ranging from driving under the influence to assault and theft.

 

Metrowatchxtra

Tags: US Visa
Kemi Sheriepha

Kemi Sheriepha

RELATED POST

Donald Trump is Not a Force for Good, London Mayor, Sadiq Khan
Latest News

US Orders Nigerian Visa Applicants to Reveal Social Media Activity

by Kemi Sheriepha
August 18, 2025
0

The United States government has warned that failure to dislcose social media information could lead to visa denial. The US...

Read moreDetails
Load More

APO

Recent Posts

  • Tinubu Vows to Sustain Economic Reforms, Hails Gov Fintiri, Ribadu
  • Kano market fire: Tinubu Sympathises with Traders, Orders Investigation
  • JUST IN: Nigeria’s Inflation Eases to 15.10%
  • We’ve Petitioned IGP, DSS, Labour Party Wants Abure, others Arrested Immediately
  • Commotion as Fuel Tanker Catches Fire While Offloading in Imo 

Recommended

2023: Labour Party Demands Immediate Resignation of all APC Candidates

Why we Lost our Secretariat to Labour Party – Enugu APC

3 years ago
Okowa Names State Secretariat after Asagba of Asaba, Chike Edozien

Okowa Names State Secretariat after Asagba of Asaba, Chike Edozien

4 years ago
MetrowatchXtra

MetrowatchXtra is an online daily newspaper poised to act as a catalyst in our debate and desire for well-governed Nigeria and provide the much-needed platform for all, irrespective of social, religious or political divide, to express their views.
Metrowatchxtra Nigeria

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Politics
  • World
  • Business
  • Science
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved