• About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Register
MetrowatchXtra
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
No Result
View All Result
MetrowatchXtra
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest News

95 Aid Workers Killed, Kidnapped, Wounded in Northeast – UN | METROWATCH

MetrowatchXtra by MetrowatchXtra
August 21, 2023
0 0
0

At least 95 aid workers had been killed, kidnapped or injured in the last seven years in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states.

The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA), who made this known in a statement over the weekend decried constant attacks on aid workers in the north-eastern part of Nigeria.

Country’s Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator for the UN, Matthias Schmale, gave the details during the commemoration of this year’s World Humanitarian Day in honour of all aid workers with the theme; “NoMatterWhat”.

He said it was important for aid workers to feel safe while performing their duties. Noting steps taken to end attacks on aid workers.

Schmale said: “World Humanitarian Day is an occasion to advocate for the survival, well-being, and dignity of crisis-affected people and the safety and security of aid workers. In 2023, as the range and scope of risks facing humanitarians continue to increase, such advocacy is needed more than ever.

“Since 2016, 37 aid workers have been killed in Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe (BAY) states, according to the Aid Worker Security Database. Additionally, 24 have been wounded and 34 kidnapped. This year alone, five aid workers have been kidnapped.”

“I cannot comment publicly on what is being done about the people kidnapped. Five aid workers have been held captive this year alone but the UN’s official position is that we do not pay ransom and our position is also that no one should be kidnapped.

READ ALSO  Tinubu Probes CBN, Others, Appoints Obaze as Special Investigator | METROWATCH

“Humanitarian aid workers should all be kept safe whether they are Nigerians or internationals. So, I call on behalf of the international community and those in coordination with the government for the release of those still being held and for the safety of all humanitarian workers.

“It is important that those who are desperately in need of humanitarian support have access to humanitarian aid and no matter what, they should be able to deliver the aid that they are meant to deliver.”

Schemale also disclosed that despite funding shortages, plans were underway by the UN to assist six million people in the northeast

“Last year we were able to reach 4.7 million people, this year the UN and its partners aim to assist six million people in north-east Nigeria through the 2023 Humanitarian Response Plan (HRP), and additional funding is urgently needed. The plan appealed for USD$1.3 billion but is currently only 29 per cent funded.

“The deteriorating food security and nutrition situation is one of the most alarming aspects of the crisis in the north-east. An estimated 4.3 million people are food insecure in the BAY states.

READ ALSO  BREAKING | Zlatan Ibrahimovic Retires from Football at 41 | METROWATCH

“We appeal for international support because today, we have some funding shortage. We are particularly worried about children. Two million children under five years in the northeast are likely to face serious malnutrition this year and 700,000 children are at risk of severe acute malnutrition…”

“To urgently operationalise time-sensitive and critical activities, the UN and partners launched a $396 million Lean Season Multi-Sector Plan as part of the HRP. While partners have made significant progress, including reaching approximately 2.1 million people with food assistance, they are challenged by limited funding, as this prioritised plan is only 51 per cent funded.”

Also speaking, the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, Dr. Nasir Sani-Gwarzo, said the government was putting measures in place to secure the lives of aid workers.

He also said one of the aid workers; a staff of the ministry who was kidnapped had been released.

He said: “One of the aid workers was recently released. He is a director at the ministry. He was kidnapped but has been released, which underscores how dangerous our work is.”

 

MetrowatchXtra

MetrowatchXtra

RELATED POST

Outrage as Nigerians React to Video of APC Member Spraying Naira During Tinubu’s Adamawa Visit (Video)
Latest News

Outrage as Nigerians React to Video of APC Member Spraying Naira During Tinubu’s Adamawa Visit (Video)

by Kemi Sheriepha
February 17, 2026
0

A video capturing a woman spraying naira notes during President Bola Tinubu’s visit to Adamawa State has ignited widespread outrage...

Read moreDetails
JUST IN: Nigerian Govt Orders Immediate Retirement Of Long-Serving Directors

JUST IN: Nigerian Govt Orders Immediate Retirement Of Long-Serving Directors

February 17, 2026
Civil Rights Icon, Jesse Jackson is De@d

Civil Rights Icon, Jesse Jackson is De@d

February 17, 2026
US President, Trump Threatens South Africa, Gives Reason

Iran, U.S. to Hold Talks in Geneva on Tehran’s Nuclear Programme

February 17, 2026
Zelensky, Putin to Meet ‘Within 2 Weeks’

Ukraine, Russia Set for Peace Talks in Geneva with U.S. Mediating

February 17, 2026
City Boy Movement: Cubana Chief Priest Remains Imo Director, Says DG

City Boy Movement: Cubana Chief Priest Remains Imo Director, Says DG

February 17, 2026
Load More

APO

Recent Posts

  • Outrage as Nigerians React to Video of APC Member Spraying Naira During Tinubu’s Adamawa Visit (Video)
  • JUST IN: Nigerian Govt Orders Immediate Retirement Of Long-Serving Directors
  • Civil Rights Icon, Jesse Jackson is De@d
  • Iran, U.S. to Hold Talks in Geneva on Tehran’s Nuclear Programme
  • Ukraine, Russia Set for Peace Talks in Geneva with U.S. Mediating

Recommended

Worried by Recurring Havocs, Northern Governors Seek Action against Floods | METROWATCH

Worried by Recurring Havocs, Northern Governors Seek Action against Floods | METROWATCH

3 years ago
Britain’s High Court Grants Julian Assange’s Extradition to U.S.

Britain’s High Court Grants Julian Assange’s Extradition to U.S.

4 years ago
MetrowatchXtra

MetrowatchXtra is an online daily newspaper poised to act as a catalyst in our debate and desire for well-governed Nigeria and provide the much-needed platform for all, irrespective of social, religious or political divide, to express their views.
Metrowatchxtra Nigeria

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Politics
  • World
  • Business
  • Science
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved