Through the prudent allocation of resources that are due to Edo State, the Governor Godwin Obaseki-led Government continues to invest our common wealth in the sectors that matter the most.
Nations are adjudged progressive when they devote sufficient resources to human capacity development.
Here are a few facts from our Education Sector:
• Last year the Edo State Government hired 3000 workers to consolidate the reforms in the Education Sector.
• Today, Saturday December 3, 2022, the Commissioner for Education, Dr. Joan Osa Oviawe, is at work with over 40 staff working on the final list of 1,500 Secondary School Teachers to be recruited.
• Of this number, almost 800 are Community Teachers that were submitted by the schools and the State Government is absorbing them as a major step towards ending the issue of transferring teachers from urban to rural areas.
• In case you didn’t know, Edo State pays the highest teachers’ salary in the country. Our teachers earn more than teachers in Federal Unity Schools and over four times more than private school teachers.
• They earn this much because of the Teachers’ Special Allowance (TSA) which was stopped in 2012, and has since 2017 been restored by Governor Godwin Obaseki.
• In addition, teachers of special needs learners earn an additional 30%.
• The last promotion of teachers before Governor Obaseki assumed office was in 2013.
• Governor Obaseki has cleared all the promotion arrears and brought promotions up to date (2022).
These are in addition to the deployment of technology in the delivery of academic instructions, training of teachers, the construction and revamp of the infrastructural deficit in the Education Sector.
You will agree with me that we do have a good story to tell.
We use this opportunity again to thank our parents and all Edo people for the support and cooperation we are getting.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Chris Osa Nehikhare
Hon. Commissioner for Communication and Orientation.