• About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Friday, February 20, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Register
MetrowatchXtra
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • POLITICS
  • HEALTH
  • SPORTS
  • OP-ED
  • ENTERTAINMENT
No Result
View All Result
MetrowatchXtra
No Result
View All Result
Home SPORTS

Sanctions: FIFA imposes N63m Fine on Nigeria over MKO Stadium Invasion

Ogochukwu Isioma by Ogochukwu Isioma
July 12, 2022
0 0
0

FIFA’s Disciplinary Committee on Monday imposed sanctions on Nigeria for the misconduct of its fans that led to MKO Stadium Invasion during the world cup qualifying tie in Abuja on May 29.

Displeased football fans had vandalised facilities at the MKO Abiola National Stadium following Super Eagles’ 1-1 draw with the Black Stars of Ghana.

The tie had ended Nigeria’s bid to qualify for the global football tournament scheduled to start in November 2022 in Qatar.

The world football ruling body in a statement on its official website detailed the reason for these sanctions as “order and security at matches (failure to implement existing safety rules and failure to ensure that law and order are maintained in the stadium, invasion of the field of play and throwing of objects”.

“In line with FIFA’s zero-tolerance stance against discrimination and violence in football, a number of member associations have been punished due to the abusive behaviour by their respective supporters,” the communique also read.

READ ALSO  Sports Festival: 14 Months after, FG Still Owing Edo N500m, Says Obaseki

It also imposed a 150,000 Swiss Franc (N63,996,216.90) fine on Nigeria as a result of the unruly behaviour of its fans, and one match without spectators.

Last month, the Senate invited the Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Mr Sunday Dare; NFF President, Amaju Pinnick, and other agencies involved in the maintenance of the MKO Abiola Stadium to determine the extent of the damage to facilities at the national arena after MKO Stadium Invasion.

The lawmakers had also instructed the Senate Committee on Sports and Youth Development to investigate the remote and immediate causes of Nigeria’s failure to qualify for the World Cup in spite of the huge fund by the government, individuals, and corporate bodies.

READ ALSO  UPDATED| Senegal beat Egypt to Emerge AFCON Champions

(Channels TV)

Tags: FIFAMKO stadiumSanction
Ogochukwu Isioma

Ogochukwu Isioma

Ogochukwu Isioma is a Bachelor's degree holder in Linguistics (Hons) from the University of Benin, and a Master's student in International Affairs and Diplomacy at the Amadu Bello University, Zaria. With over half a decade-long active journalism practice, Ogochukwu is the Founder and Publisher of popular education-focused online medium, CAMPUS GIST, and currently writes for METROWATCH. He can be reached via ogochukwuisioma@gmail.com.

RELATED POST

Club World Cup: FIFA Strips Man City, Real Madrid, Man Utd of Titles
Latest News

2026 World Cup: FIFA Dismisses NFF Petition against DR Congo

by Kemi Sheriepha
February 17, 2026
0

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has seen its petition dismissed over the alleged ineligibility of a player fielded by the...

Read moreDetails
Club World Cup: FIFA Strips Man City, Real Madrid, Man Utd of Titles

2026 World Cup: FIFA Confirms Prize Money

December 18, 2025
Club World Cup: FIFA Strips Man City, Real Madrid, Man Utd of Titles

W/Cup Playoffs: Controversy as FIFA Appoints South African Officials for Super Eagles vs Gabon

November 6, 2025

NFF Pocket $1m FIFA Gave Nigeria for World Cup Qualification, Oliseh Says

October 13, 2025
FIFA to Expand Women’s World Cup to 48 Teams By 2031

FIFA to Expand Women’s World Cup to 48 Teams By 2031

May 10, 2025
Super Falcons

Super Falcons Retains 36th Position in Latest FIFA Ranking | METROWATCH

August 16, 2024
Load More

APO

Recent Posts

  • Gov Fintiri’s APC Gambit: A Sinister Shadow Threatening to Engulf the Party in Flames, By Prof Ahmed Abubakar Jallo
  • BREAKING | US Supreme Court Strikes down Trump’s Global Tariffs
  • 8 Years after Dapchi Abduction, Leah Sharibu’s Parents Renew Plea for Rescue
  • REPORT | Trump Considers Limited Strike on Iran to Press Nuclear Deal
  • Man Remanded over Alleged R@pe of Nigerian Model, Fems and Her Friend After Luring Them with Fake Modeling Job

Recommended

Godwin Emefiele

Ex-CBN Governor, Emefiele Freed from Kuje Prison | METROWATCH

2 years ago
OPINION |  A Call for Regulation of Nigerian Media Monitoring, Intelligence Industry, By Philip Odiakose | METROWATCH

ANALYSIS | X-raying Fraud in Out-of-Home Media Buying: Why Brands Must Prioritise Media Monitoring, Compliance, By Philip Odiakose | METROWATCH

2 years ago
MetrowatchXtra

MetrowatchXtra is an online daily newspaper poised to act as a catalyst in our debate and desire for well-governed Nigeria and provide the much-needed platform for all, irrespective of social, religious or political divide, to express their views.
Metrowatchxtra Nigeria

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Our Privacy Policy
  • Contact

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Politics
  • World
  • Business
  • Science
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health

© 2026 Metrowatchxtra Nigeria Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved