Tension has continued to mount across the Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State after reports emerged that one of the teachers kidnapped during the attack on schools in the Ahoro-Esinele community has allegedly been killed by the abductors.
Information circulating within the community indicated that one of the teachers abducted during the school invasion was murdered while being held captive.
The development has deepened concerns among relatives of the remaining kidnapped teachers and pupils, while residents await formal confirmation from security authorities.
The abductions occurred on Friday when gunmen, said to have arrived on motorcycles, launched coordinated attacks on Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele, and Yawota Baptist Nursery and Primary School.
Sources within the community disclosed that 46 individuals were abducted during the raids, comprising seven teachers and 39 pupils and students.
Those previously identified among the missing teachers include the principal of Community High School, Mrs Alamu Folawe; the vice principal, Mr Ojo Jonathan; Mr Olatunde Zacchaeus; Mr John Olaleye; Mr Michael Oyedokun; Mrs Oladeji; and Mary Akanbi of Yawota Baptist Nursery and Primary School.
Villagers also alleged that the attackers made away with four motorcycles during the operation.
The latest development came shortly after a distress video appeared online in which Mrs Alamu appealed to the Federal Government, the Oyo State Government and compassionate Nigerians to help secure the freedom of the abducted victims without the use of force.
Earlier, the Oyo State Police Command confirmed the kidnapping incident and disclosed that tactical units and intelligence officers had been deployed to rescue the victims and apprehend those responsible.
Responding swiftly to the incident, Governor Seyi Makinde declared a sustained and coordinated state security offensive following the abduction of teachers and school children in Oriire Local Government Area, insisting that his administration will maintain relentless pressure on criminal networks while overhauling the state’s security architecture.
Speaking to Governor’s Office correspondents on Sunday night at his Kolapo Ishola residence in Ibadan, after a high-level security review, Makinde said the state had moved into a new phase of coordinated and continuous action involving all security agencies and community stakeholders.
He assured residents that the government remained fully mobilised to secure the release of the victims, adding that: “We have just concluded a review of the security situation, following the abduction of some teachers and schoolchildren.
“Please be assured that the government is working round the clock to address this situation and to ensure that we tackle these challenges decisively,” the governor stated.
Makinde confirmed that security operatives had suffered casualties during rescue efforts, stressing the sacrifices being made on the frontline.
“One of the Amotekun operative is in a critical condition in the hospital, while a few soldiers, hunters, and other operatives were wounded during the operation.
“They are currently recovering, and the government will continue to take full responsibility for their recovery and medical bills,” he said.
The governor further confirmed the abduction of seven teachers and the killing of one of them by the attackers.
“Unfortunately, we received a video this morning indicating that one of the teachers, I understand the Mathematics teacher, was killed by the terrorists earlier today,” he said, adding that “our thoughts and prayers are with the families affected.”
He said the state had broadened its response beyond military action to include community and religious engagement.
“We have, therefore, decided that we will not rely solely on kinetic measures,” Makinde said, noting that traditional rulers, religious leaders and stakeholders, including the Baptist Convention, were actively involved in consultations.
Reaffirming government resolve, he said efforts were ongoing to ensure the safe return of abducted victims.
“We are doing everything within our power to ensure that this situation is resolved as quickly as possible and that our children are brought back safely,” he said, while acknowledging the difficulty of the situation, saying, “This remains a very difficult and challenging situation.”
As part of transparency measures, Makinde announced that the government would begin daily briefings, noting, “We will be briefing the press every evening, starting from today, until further notice, as more information becomes available.“
The governor disclosed that a joint task force comprising the police, military, Amotekun operatives, hunters and other local actors had been deployed in search-and-rescue operations.
He, however, revealed that the team encountered deadly resistance, disclosing that: “During that operation, they ran into improvised explosive devices (IEDs), and some of the Amotekun operatives were wounded.“
Makinde confirmed arrests linked to the incident, as investigations intensified into suspected collaborators within affected communities.
“From information provided by the Commissioner of Police, about six individuals have been arrested within the locality. Some of them are believed to be informants or persons providing logistical support to the terrorists,” he said, adding that “three individuals of interest have been arrested by another security outfit within the state.”
He stressed that sustained security presence was critical to preventing recurring attacks, warning that: “If all we do is conduct clearance operations for a week or two and then withdraw, the terrorists simply return.“
He added: “This is not a one-dimensional issue. We must ensure sustained government presence while continuing to pursue terrorists and bandits wherever they are.”
On regional security dynamics, Makinde warned that intensified military pressure in the North-West and North-East was displacing armed groups southwards.
“We must also recognise that with increased pressure on terrorists and bandits in the North-West and North-East, they will continue to move southwards,” he said, adding that states must be prepared to respond decisively
He confirmed ongoing collaboration with neighbouring states, stating: “There are ongoing discussions,” while stressing the need for coordinated regional response to emerging threats.
On school security, the governor referenced the Safe Schools Initiative but warned that Nigeria’s broader insecurity required systemic reforms.
“When you are facing widespread security challenges, as the Yoruba would say, ‘if the louse is still on the head, the fingers will still be stained with blood,’” he said, adding that government must “continue to strengthen and retool our security architecture, focusing on vulnerable points, whether schools, factories, or even people travelling.”
Addressing concerns about public communication and operational secrecy, Makinde said transparency would be maintained without compromising security operations.
“The public also has a right to know what their government is doing. We will, of course, ensure that we do not disclose any tactical or operational details that could jeopardise ongoing efforts,” he said.
On the number of abducted persons, the governor said accurate figures were still being verified due to confusion during the incident, explaining that: “In the immediate aftermath of the incident, parents and guardians came to the school, picked up their children, and left in different directions.“
He added that: “Until the schools are reopened on Monday and we are able to verify the attendance registers, we cannot provide a precise number.”
Makinde noted that only a full audit would provide clarity, saying, “At that point, we will be able to give an accurate account,” while reiterating his administration’s resolve to sustain pressure on criminal elements until the victims are rescued and normalcy restored.
